Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Sulphur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
nman13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Sulphur

I made wine from grapes 1 month ago and it is currently sitting in the secondary fermenter. Last week the wine started smelling of really strong sulphur. I know that sulphur is a by product of yeast. But can there be too much? Is there a way to reduce this smell or do I wait it out? Can i test the aulphur somehow? Note that the wine tastes fine it just smells funny. Also I added malolactic bacteria while it smelled this way will that cause the bacteria to be ineffective?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

I would suggest "rack and splashing". Go ahead aerate it and this will dissipate the smell. Also add some yeast nutrient.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #3
Brewkowski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Which yeast did you use? I had a bad problem with R212, apparently that yeast needs more nutrients. The splash racking did help for mine.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Charles Bukowski

Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Honda88
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 54

okay if it is done fermenting no need to add nutrients, if not yes add nutrients and aerate. if it is finished fermenting pour it into a bucket and add k meta, get a power drill with a paint mixer on it or use a paddle manually and stir the living crap out of. I would stir it for like a half hour or so. then splash rack it into a carboy and top off. wait about a week and smell it again. if it still smells repeat the procedure only this time use a copper pipe to stir it with. if that doesnt work then you may have a severe sulphur problem and you can either dump it or use copper sulfate and risk getting sick from copper poisoning...good luck.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
nman13
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default killing ML

I have conducted an ML fermentation and read that oxygen kills the bacteria. I see some Co2 bubbles at the top so it looks like the ML is working. Can i wait till the ML fermentation is done to aerate the wine or will this be a problem? also what should i use to stabilize before bottling as i assume adding more so2 would be a bad idea....

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nman13
I have conducted an ML fermentation and read that oxygen kills the bacteria. I see some Co2 bubbles at the top so it looks like the ML is working. Can i wait till the ML fermentation is done to aerate the wine or will this be a problem? also what should i use to stabilize before bottling as i assume adding more so2 would be a bad idea....
Let ML finish before you do anything. It could be a couple of months. Then add a dose of K-Meta before bottling.

Do not aerate the wine! It will aid in oxidizing your wine.

Quick Reply