Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Sugar wine... got any advice?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJerryrigger View Post
(i've got some tomato wine going right now that's mostly sugar)
I've never heard of anyone but distillers using tomato for brewing... is it any good? Is the recipe posted somewhere?

Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #12
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
I've never heard of anyone but distillers using tomato for brewing... is it any good? Is the recipe posted somewhere?
I found it via google. I did a sloppy job at it, I was canning some tomato (not the caning type) and saved the run off water, added sugar to about 1090-1095 and used some old Lavin's 1118 i had in the fridge.
From what I read it tastes as bad as it sounds for the first year or two, but over time (and racking every 3 months for the first year) it (hopefully) becomes a nice dry white wine "with a taste you know, but would have a hard time identifying unless told"
It still has a pungent liquid pizza barf aroma... and flavor... and look. I have nearly 2 gal of this crap, I really hope it becomes something drinkable.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Symbiote
Recipes 

Location: Somewhere between the computers and the coffee pot.
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
Do a search for information on Kilju, it's a Finnish sugar wine. Quite anti-establishment to brew it in Finland too from what I understand.
Looked it up, sounds about like what I am doing. Only difference is the yeast. What are the pros/cons of turbo yeast?

Quote:
It still has a pungent liquid pizza barf aroma... and flavor... and look.
Oh wow. That is beautiful and gross at the same time. hahhaha

Quote:
I would recommend finding some cheap (or free) source of fruit, like ground apples. Then take the juice of that, triple it with water, then bump the SG up to 1.100 with sugar, and toss in some 1118 yeast.
That sounds like the best advice in this thread yet. There is a place I am going to visit today that has a pear tree in the yard of the unoccupied house next door. If there is time, may just grab a few bags of pears.

How do you sanitize the fruit beforehand? Do you juice and boil?

Primary 1: Experimental Apfelwein

Primary 2: Experimental Apfelwein

US politics is like pro wrestling, with a nuclear option.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justibone View Post
I have a tomato wine recipe posted, complete with tasting notes if you're interested.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #15
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiote View Post
Look for more thorough instructions elsewhere... but there are many ways to extract the sugars and flavors from fruit. Boiling is not the most common -- it is far more common to count on metabisulfite taking out the nasties for you.

Whatever fruit you get, look up a good recipe and follow those instructions. Wine (especially *good* wine) is somewhat intolerant of experimentation by novices, or so I've heard!

$.02 from a wine brewing noob.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #16
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Only difference is the yeast. What are the pros/cons of turbo yeast?
well that's distiller's yeast, so it ferments really really fast, making all kinds of crap you don't want to drink (but could easily distill out). It's really not a great choice for anything you plan on drinking any quantity of. You'd be better off with, my old fail safe, Lavins 1118. It's similar in a lot of ways, but it is a little slower (maybe a lot, i've never use turbo). It will eat a lot of sugar, and can handle up to about 18% abv before going dormant, though; I'd recommend not going above about 14%.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #17
Symbiote
Recipes 

Location: Somewhere between the computers and the coffee pot.
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
well that's distiller's yeast, so it ferments really really fast, making all kinds of crap you don't want to drink (but could easily distill out). It's really not a great choice for anything you plan on drinking any quantity of. You'd be better off with, my old fail safe, Lavins 1118. It's similar in a lot of ways, but it is a little slower (maybe a lot, i've never use turbo). It will eat a lot of sugar, and can handle up to about 18% abv before going dormant, though; I'd recommend not going above about 14%.
Read up on that yeast, might have to change up. Been using Danstar.

Primary 1: Experimental Apfelwein

Primary 2: Experimental Apfelwein

US politics is like pro wrestling, with a nuclear option.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #18
DrJerryrigger
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

oh I thought you were the one using the turbo, danstar makes some good yeast. I've only used there ale yeast, but I suspect they have some fine wine yeasts too. If you like how it's worked for you, I wouldn't suggest changing.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #19
MrInternet
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Yooper: I know people say "ooh sugar wine is nasty, drama drama rabble rabble". And I am still going to experiment with it. Why? Because I am betting most of the naysayers are the sort who watch Fox News and CSI and work hourly jobs, and as such they are not worth listening to. So far this year I have hired and fired 8 of those sorts of people, you know what I mean?

There is an old saying - "free advice is worth what you pay for it". But when it comes from a herd beast, it is worth even less.
OOOh, big bad manager did NOT just go there... oh yes he did!

He can do whatever he wants and not listen to the advice of people who disagree with him because he's the BOSS MAN! When the BOSS MAN speaks, everyone listens! Shut up and punch your clock, maggot!

I find the irony delicious (look it up, it means "tastes good", unlike the swill you're talking about making) that you're so desperate to cut costs that you're resorting to making prison hooch, and degrading OTHER people for working hourly jobs... haha, yeah, sounds like you're flush money there Mr. BOSS MAN. Gotta save $10 a batch on high-octane... ahahaha....
Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #20
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Boiling will set in the pectins in the fruit essentially making a jam-like substance. Use campden tablets and cover in water until pressing, then either paseurise over a low heat or use more campden for the juice. Wait a day then add your yeast/whatever else you want. If you're using fresh juice I'd also chuck in some pectinase.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply