Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > sugar all clumped in the bottom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default sugar all clumped in the bottom

I am doing a spiced tea wine and added a second batch of sugar last night....4 pounds of sugar in a pot.....mixed in some of the must and heated to a boil and all of the sugar was dissolved.....cooled down and poured into the bottom of a carboy and racked the remainder of the must over the top.....about an hour later I had about an inch of solid sugar in the bottom of the carboy....I mixed it up but it is not staying in suspension. this only made 8 pounds of sugar in 5 gallons so it is not over saturated....why did this happen? I haven't had it happen before.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Hinermad
Recipes 

Is the must very cold? Cooling a saturated solution can make some of the dissolved material precipitate out. It doesn't seem like that's enough sugar to saturate even cold water though. (But what do I know?) Is there anything else dissolved in the must? Acids, etc?

Dave

Old 01-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinermad View Post
Is the must very cold? Cooling a saturated solution can make some of the dissolved material precipitate out. It doesn't seem like that's enough sugar to saturate even cold water though. (But what do I know?) Is there anything else dissolved in the must? Acids, etc?

Dave
This is a remake of a wine I did one day while bored( I think it is horrid but my wife and a couple of other ladies like it...they say it has a spicy pumpkin flavor...I think it tastes like vomit lol) . it is simply spiced orange tea bags steeped in water brought to a boil then set for 15 minutes...4 pounds of sugar added ( all I had in the house at the time) , boiled then topped off to 5 gallons. cooled to mid 70's and champagne yeast pitched......a few days later pulled out some of the "wine" and mixed with 4 pounds of sugar , boiled and then racked the remainder of the " wine" over this....THATS where I have the clumped up stuff in the bottom.... I have been stirring it with a long rod and getting down into the sugar..it is aboult all dissolved now.
EDIT TO ADD____ yeah it is not very warm...upper 50's low 60's I think.
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply