Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Strong Black Berry Champagne...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #1
MellowToad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strong Black Berry Champagne...

Hey folks,

I've got a lot of fresh blackberries and am looking at making a strong black berry champagne/wine.

When making a strong beer, I've always added extra wort to my main wort over a period of days in order to not overwhelm my yeast. I'm checking to see if that is something that is recommended with what I'm doing here also.

Also going to see if you all can help me build a recipe. Right now, I'm looking at making a five gallon batch. With the Lavlin EC-118 yeast, which finishes at about 18%, I know this is something that will need to be aged for quite some time, but am willing to accept this as I've got some of Ed Wort's finest which will be drinkable here in about two weeks as well as about 200 beers of 8 different varieties in the cellar now.

So far I've got about 8 pounds of black berries and about twenty pounds of dextrose. Also got wine nutrient and five gallons of spring water. Am using Lavlin EC-118 at the recommendation of my LBHS employee. What should I mix together, or at what percentages? Any help or ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

First, you'll need more blackberries. For a 5 gallon batch I would use at least 15 lbs worth. That lavlin yeast is pretty robust, you could probably get away with dumping all the sugar in at once. When making something with high gravity, it's never a bad idea to do sugar additions. I do that with any meads I make. I wouldn't use 20 lbs of dextrose though. That's a LOT of sugar! I would stick with 10 lbs at the most.

If you've got a bucket that's larger than 5 gallons that would be best. When adding the blackberries, put the blackberry solids in a grainbag for easy removal when it's time to rack out of the primary.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 07-06-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

My blackberry wine is around 13%, if I remember correctly. It's been aging almost two years, and is still too "hot" to drink.

You could look at my recipe, and just boost the fermentables if you want.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
3Brothers
Recipes 

Hey Yooper, I feel like Im stalking your fruit wine conversations but, what do you mean by to "hot" to drink, last recipie I read for blackberry wine said ready to drink by bottling time, only my mulberry recipie said it required long ageing to perfect.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

"Hot" means that it actually tastes hot from the alcohol. Kind of a burning effect, and you can't really taste much else (the fruitiness, etc) except the alcohol.

A lower alcohol wine will be ready to drink in a short period of time, generally speaking. Also, whites are ready sooner, too, as a general rule. Something like elderberries, with alot of tannin, takes longer to be smooth and drinkable.

If you want a quicker wine to drink, try a simple lower ABV wine like the Welch's grape wine (white or red) or the apple juice wine. You can drink them in less than 6 months, although longer aging will improve the flavor.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Quick Reply