Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Strawberry Flavoring

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
scottyg354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Strawberry Flavoring

Hey guys, just made up a must for a strawberry wine. Was curious when it is finished and I sweeten it up a bit do you guys have any suggestions as to were I can pick up or make some natural strawberry flavoring?

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
ezzellca
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Cant help you on where to find extract or flavoring, but have you thought about making a strawberry reduction?

Cook about a lb of strawberrys sliced in a cup of water and simmer for thirty minutes. Place in cheese cloth and extract all the goodness. Bring the liquid back to a simmer and simmer until you have a quarter cup left.

Ive never used it for wine, but you can add sugar and its great for desserts and sauces, strong strawberry flavor.

Again never used a reduction for wine, dont see why it wouldnt work though.

Edit for an alternative. Just occured you could make strawberry syrup by covering sliced berries with an equal part sugar and leaving it in the fridge for a couple days. Then fish the chunks from the syrup, give them a squeeze so you dont miss a drop. Might be good for backsweetening since it sounds you will be doing that.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Sammyk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I simmered fresh strawberries in water on the stove. Strained and then added to fresh strawberry wine. We just opened a bottle last night and it is awesome - full of strawberry smell and taste.

You can buy extracts at Olive Nation (on line). I had a 4 oz bottle as a back up but did not need it.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would slice and freeze the berries, then bring them out to thaw and cover in granulated sugar. Use the resulting sweet strawberry syrup to add flavor during backsweetening.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply