Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Strawberry-blackberry wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Are you saying you already have this bottled? Start to finish in approx 2 weeks? So what are your plans for it now? Are you drinking it, aging it?

Ferment related questions for you...
-did you ever punch down the cap, push it down into the wine?
-what was your primary container, a widemouth two gallon or larger bucket or a carboy?
-did you dose with SO2 at any time?
-how did you determine this was done...did you use a hydrometer?

Comments: the rotten fruit smell you described is dead on...you left the fruit intact too long. The white fruit, especially with black/red raspberries is common after fermentation due to color leeching out....but it could have been mold, especially if you say it was dry. Was it fuzzy looking?

What have you learned from your first attempt at winemaking?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 98

It's bottled in a 2-litre soda bottle to age (in refrigerator), will bottle in glass wine bottle later.

Never punched down the cap.
Fermenter was a one gallon, plastic, spring water jug.
What's SO2?
No hydrometer was ever used

It was a little fuzzy looking. Not enough to make me think fuzzy mold though.

How did you determine it was done? Is a great question here... I didn't. And I didn't really think about it until you said it. I kind of assume/assumed it was done after the 12 days. With you asking I realize it may be done, and it may not be done. For right now I believe it will be "OK" in a refredgerator, but I should probably bring it out and let it warm up to room temperature with an airlock on it for a month or two.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you attempt to squeeze the bottle if it is hard, then you likely have continued ferment ( and you likely have continued ferment). Typically 2/3 of the ferment is completed by Day 8 and some ferments can take months to finish up. A month is usually a safe mark to check and see if dry.

If you saw fuzz, you saw mold...white is classic with what you made and circumstances.

SO2 is sulphur dioxide, achieved by adding Campden tabs or potassium metabisulphite to your must/wine at indicated times....used to maintain a safe environment for your yeast, for your fruit, for your wine. Classified as a preservative http://vinoenology.com/calculators/SO2-addition/

May want to do some reading about winemaking, this is a great site .. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

My suggestions...important: buy potassium based Campden tabs that are dosed at one tab per gallon or potassium metabisulphite, aka k-meta. Avoid the sodium versions, because they are, well, sodium based...but you can use them interchangeably. To your 2 L add 1/2 a crushed campden tab that was dissolved in cool water. Remove all pulp pieces, place under airlock, and in a month, if there is a layer of sediment then rack the wine. You could continue to rack, read Keller info, stabilize, bulk age, bottle, etc. Oh, and invest in glass or Better Bottle type PET bottles....this is a 2 L batch, and you could easily transfer to a 1.5L wine bottle and a 0.5L and airlock them. Use balloons if necessary, some people use condoms since they are sanitized already. Avoid the obvious, powder or lube. If you continue with gallon batches, use a glass gallon jug, know friends who drink jug wine?, find a 2 gal food grade bucket or 2 gal glass cookie jar....your primary. This way you will get 4-5 750ml bottles per gallon. Most grocery stores get their cake frosting in 2 gal buckets. If you want to know where your wine is..grab a triple scale hydrometer ($3-10).

Most realistic case...dose with Campden, keep in refrig, drink soon. Try again with knowledge.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Halbrust
Recipes 

The bottle wasn't hard when I checked it around 11/16, and still wasn't hard two days ago.
I just bought some campden tablets, will be dosing it tonight.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
ejr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i remember making wine and placing it in a 2 liter bottle after 30 days took it over to the local honky tonk had to keep stopping on the way to let the pressure off the bottle got there with it we drank it even though it was very tasty didnt make no difference but everything comes with time may be interested in a book before you start again called the joy of winemaking byTerry Garey I didnt know what alot of the chemicals i was using at first when i was going by recipes but i learn most over time good luck as you see no matter what happens your not the first and it will probably be drinkable just not great

Old 12-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Halbrust
Recipes 

Hit it with 1/2 a campden tablet on 11/28/12.

Saturday 12/8/12 I bottled it. The smell was much cleaner. It went from rotten fruit to cheap wine.

I bottled two small bottles, Belgian beer bottles I think. They looked like little wine bottles and took a tea cork just fine.
Then I took 750ml and added hyppocras spices. I will let them steep for several days, then add sugar the day it will be drank (so the sugar can't ferment, only sweeten).

Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
Halbrust
Recipes 

Just had this wine judged, and it scored very well.
The campden took some of the smell away. But... The aroma scored VERY high, and it still had a touch of that rotten fruit smell to me. I'm thinking that maybe it was the correct smell for fruit wine, and I just didn't care for the smell.

Quick Reply