Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Strange looking Wine in Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Níl_fhios_agam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Strange looking Wine in Secondary?

Can someone take a look at the photo below and tell me does this look normal? I have quite a few brews under my belt now but never seen this with wine (I have with beer and its normal). This only started to happen after I moved from primary to secondary. Its almost like the yeast is only just proving and starting off.......any comments?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm, it would help to know what kind of wine it is? The ubiquitous apfel variety perhaps?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
ms8miranda
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm just a beginner and can't answer your question but your post prompted a question from me. I've only begun learning about wine-making recently and have read so much info, I may be getting things jumbled up in my head. I thought you had to leave a 1-inch headspace in the secondary vessel...it doesn't look like you have so now I'm wondering during what part of the process should I leave a 1-inch headspace?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Níl_fhios_agam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericd View Post
Hmm, it would help to know what kind of wine it is? The ubiquitous apfel variety perhaps?
No, its just a standard Beaverdale Pinot Grigio kit. Nothing different from the many I have already made......thats what so strange?

Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Níl_fhios_agam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms8miranda View Post
I'm just a beginner and can't answer your question but your post prompted a question from me. I've only begun learning about wine-making recently and have read so much info, I may be getting things jumbled up in my head. I thought you had to leave a 1-inch headspace in the secondary vessel...it doesn't look like you have so now I'm wondering during what part of the process should I leave a 1-inch headspace?
There is about 2-3 inches of head space there. To be honest, I haven't really taken much notice of head space, expect to make sure its not brimming to the top. Haven't had any problems either......until now!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

How long did you keep it in the primary? How does it smell? I have a few dozen kits under my belt but I've never seen anything like this in a secondary.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Níl_fhios_agam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
How long did you keep it in the primary? How does it smell? I have a few dozen kits under my belt but I've never seen anything like this in a secondary.
Yeah, its strange isn't it. Would be a great head for beer! I left it about 10 days but Gravity was still around 1.022 when I moved (which looking back on now, I should have left!)

Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

The must was aerated when you racked it so this may be nothing more than a vigorous continuation of the primary fermentation. Why not smell it and if it smells good there likely isn't a problem. You'd think 12 days would be plenty of time in the primary though, at 1.022, it obviously wasn't.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #9
ericd
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Níl_fhios_agam View Post
No, its just a standard Beaverdale Pinot Grigio kit. Nothing different from the many I have already made......thats what so strange?
Oh, when you said wine I thought purple, never considered white.

Quick Reply