Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Stir the fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
tCan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stir the fermenter?

I started a cider on 12-12-12, I didn't rack it to a secondy vessel until 1/6. I noticed it still had a lot of carb, so I left the airlock on instead of capping it. More than a week later, I still see bubbles. I haven't measured the final gravity. But I know it's done. The cider is dry and definitely has alcohol in it, so I don't think I have a slow or stuck fermentation on my hands. Why is it taking so long to degass?

On this day, I wish a cold brew and warm company upon thee.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

There are lots of possible factors as to why a wine won't give up its gas. You can help it along by stir/degassing it. Or, you could rack it again in a week or two. Either one will help!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
tCan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I'm going to get myself some boileezers and use them from now on in the secondary vessel to provide a nucleation site for the CO2. I noticed adding campden helps a lot, until it dissolves which is only a few minutes.

On this day, I wish a cold brew and warm company upon thee.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
I think I'm going to get myself some boileezers and use them from now on in the secondary vessel to provide a nucleation site for the CO2. I noticed adding campden helps a lot, until it dissolves which is only a few minutes.
I do not think boileezers are safe for wine. They are made from aluminum oxide and cannot handle the acidity of wine.

Also, not sure what your temp is, but a cool liquid retains dissolved CO2. Warm it up to 75F and you should see some offgassing. Stirring helps, as does bulk aging.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply