Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Starting to think degassing is an unachievable feat....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
cmybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I'm nearly certain it's done fermenting. Adjusting for my hydrometer which reads a bit off it was at .995 (I think, I don't want to go get my notes) and it's been in there now for more than the recommended time at a warm temp right near the high end of what they recommended so I'm pretty sure it's done. It is foaming plenty when I do this, just can't get it to stop puffing in the test vial. At this point might just go with it, we've added whatever it is you were supposed to at this step.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #12
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I used to beat my head against the wall trying to get all the Co2 out of the wine, then I figured out a method that works flawlessly with very little effort. TIME!

Just let it sit and degas itself, best method I have used by far.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you're going to make wine on a regular basis, you might want to go with vacuum degassing. I bought a brake bleeder pump from Harbor Freight Tools for something like $30. Been using it for over 5 years now without problem. I simply attach the vac pump to a piece of racking hose that is inserted into a drilled rubber stopper. Put this on the carboy and vacuum out the air. I take mine to around 20 inches of mercury and the CO2 comes out quite easily. Of all the pieces of equipment that I have, I'd have to say that it is the one that has improved my wine the most for the lowest cost.

Cheers, Lon

www.skeeterpee.com

Visit Skeeter Pee on facebook and click the like button

Old 07-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
kmdakota1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

how long could you let it sit under vac? could you put it on say the night before bottling and just leave it? for sure it would degas by the next day. also, i have this exact tool i've used hundreds of times for mechanical reasons. could you elaborate a bit on how to make fittings for the #6 bung and this tool? would appreciate it tons!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I too ran into this problem. Wine was in a carboy for 7 months as I tried to degas it regularly. I just gave up last week and bottled. I even bought a glass carboy and used one of those wine saver pumps which didn't pull out any gas at all. I just hope it comes out ok as it was a $150 kit!
I do have another, cheaper kit, but I am reluctant to make it as I don't want to have to deal with another 6 months of degassing! Maybe I might look into getting one of those harbor freight pumps as the stores are all over around here.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #16
mpmorgan
Recipes 

I don't have the recipe on me, but there's a stabilizing solution that stops fermentation and halts and new fermentation. I know one part is campden.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #17
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
I too ran into this problem. Wine was in a carboy for 7 months as I tried to degas it regularly. I just gave up last week and bottled. I even bought a glass carboy and used one of those wine saver pumps which didn't pull out any gas at all. I just hope it comes out ok as it was a $150 kit!
I do have another, cheaper kit, but I am reluctant to make it as I don't want to have to deal with another 6 months of degassing! Maybe I might look into getting one of those harbor freight pumps as the stores are all over around here.
If your wine had gas in it the wine saver pump would have pulled it out. Lots of people mistake trapped Co2 for the air bubbles that they whip up when they are degassing. In 7 months a wine would nearly degas itself without any help!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
ProfessorPlum
Recipes 

+1 (or 2) on the vaccuum if you're really concerned about it. I can use a drill and a whip all day long and still have some CO2, though not to any great detriment. Get as much as you can out within a few minutes and don't worry about the rest.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #19
johngottshall
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use the food saver to degas it works great. Just rig a hose to fit into a drilled rubber bung. You could watch it clear as it degases. there is a video on you tube

Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavywalker View Post

If your wine had gas in it the wine saver pump would have pulled it out. Lots of people mistake trapped Co2 for the air bubbles that they whip up when they are degassing. In 7 months a wine would nearly degas itself without any help!
That is what I thought. Bottled it up and after aging for at least 6 months in bottles, you can still smell the carbonation and almost sweetness when you pop a bottle. Bad enough I can't serve it to my wine friends.

Quick Reply