The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > starting grapes from seed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
VermontFreedom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default starting grapes from seed

I'm going to try growing some Concord vines. I harvested about a tablespoon of seeds from several pounds of concord grapes that were grown locally. I dried them and they've been in cabinet storage for about 9 months.

Does anyone know if Concord grape seeds need to be cold-stored (frozen) for proper germination? Any pointers for soil amelioration?

Thanks,

Conditioning: black raspberry port #1, black raspberry port #2; annual apple wines (2); Concord wine
Bottled and being imbibed: Santa's Magic Potion (seasonal holiday ale); gamay beaujolais #1, standard port, blueberry dessert wine, ice wine
Bottled and Aging: dry mead, sack mead
On deck: gamay beaujolais #2, cherry wine, peach wine; Trappist Dubbel; English strong ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

This might not work well, as most grapes are grown on rot-resistant root stock with the good grapes grafted on.

In any case, you will save years of time buying bare root vines. This is the right time of year to do it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply