Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Star San

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Star-San is a strong acid; that's how it sanitizes. Diluted, it can be handled (though for my sensitive skin, rubber gloves are an easy preventative from problems). But full-strength? If you decide to test your theory let us know how that comes out...

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4772 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by springmom View Post
Star-San is a strong acid; that's how it sanitizes. Diluted, it can be handled (though for my sensitive skin, rubber gloves are an easy preventative from problems). But full-strength? If you decide to test your theory let us know how that comes out...
I have lots of chemicals in my home sold for HOME use. Like, drano. Straight lye. Ammonia. All kinds of stuff.

I agree with Springmom, that while chemicals often are 'dumbed down' (my words, not hers) due to our society, it's not wise to handle them full strength.

Probably your skin won't be off. But that doesn't mean it's healthy. I make soap, so I deal with lye. It's a strong alkali. That means be smart when you use it.

Same with star-san. Be prudent, and you'll be fine.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
kirkosaurus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybrew
Most say it is good as long as it is clear. I change mine every other batch but I'm a little sanitiation paranoid.
I've heard this several times but I've noticed the solution always gets cloudy as soon as you add the starsan to the water (1oz. to 5 gals as directed). How are people getting a clear solution??

Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Well, there's always Sparkalloid..... :-D

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkosaurus

I've heard this several times but I've noticed the solution always gets cloudy as soon as you add the starsan to the water (1oz. to 5 gals as directed). How are people getting a clear solution??
You probably have hard water, then. At least I think that's what does it. If you mix it with distilled or RO water it will stay clear for weeks/months.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #16
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes, the best ratio to use is 1oz for 5 gal. Or 1/5 oz in a gallon jug. The best water to use with Star San is distilled water. It can be good for months when used/dilluted with a water that has nothing in it(such as distilled). It can definitly irritate your skin (diluted or not), and I would never reccomend ingesting it in full strength form!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
Rodnboro
Recipes 

I agree with inhousebrew that the cloudy result does not mean the StarSan is bad. I have well water and it turns cloudy immediately. I do however, buy distilled water in gallon jugs and mix it and store it in them. It lasts longer this way.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #18
MarkB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewKnurd View Post
You probably have hard water, then. At least I think that's what does it. If you mix it with distilled or RO water it will stay clear for weeks/months.
Yep. I had to turn off our water softener a week ago, and brewed last night. I poured out my still-clear bucket of Starsan solution, and made a new batch. I decided since it had been a little more than a month since I bottled my last batch I should just do it again.

When making up my new batch, I instantly noticed it was cloudy, and was that way almost immediately. I didn't know what to do, but figure I'd trust the math with the Starsan and call it good. So, hard water definately makes for cloudy Starsan solution.

I know from this experience that I will certainly be calling the guy to fix the water softner before I brew or bottle next. That cloudy Starsan solution freaks me out!

Quick Reply