Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Stalled lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Derrick123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I added another yeast slurry to this last night (December 9). Crossing my fingers it works

Anyone have any luck with adding yeast to a stalled wine?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #12
jdrum
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think i woud get the gas out if for no other reason than so it can clear. the high acid level stressed the yeast to start with and having the gas level as high as you described probable finished it off. stirr it up good and keep stiring for a couple of days. and get some O2 in the must

jim

Last edited by jdrum; 12-11-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
Derrick123
Recipes 

Hi jdrum,

I think you are right. The yeast slurry did nothing.

I will stir the crap out it to see if it helps.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #14
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You said there had been lots of co2 bubbles on the wine thief when you checked the SG at 1.036. I'm wondering if the reading was inaccurate due to the bubbles. Maybe a bit of degassing of the sample and a good spin of the hydrometer float to get the bubbles off.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Derrick123
Recipes 

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for your post.

I never thought of that, maybe it would make a difference. I took numerous readings and it was consistently 1.036.

I plan to stir it a couple of times a day to release the bubbles.

I hope it works, I would hate to lose the whole batch.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
spark_plug
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just from reading over this, did you by chance add any nutrient and energizer mid way through the primary stage? Check you SG periodically and whip each time, when your SG reached about 1.050 or 1.040 add more nutrient and energizer, and give it a good whip. Plus I would add 2 tsp of nutrient for 1 tsp of energizer. From my understanding it will keep the sulpher smell down and keep your yeast from stalling in something acidic like Lemonade. If you didn't do that, I'm going to guess that could be the reason it stalled. However when I make Skeeter pee I use only slurry, and have had great luck. Never tried making a slurry with packets of yeast. Probably opposed to adding more yeast, you could try adding a bit more nutrient and energizer and giving it a good whip, and whipping it every 24hrs to see if you get some ferment action. If it doesn't get it going I would put it to clear with some sparkolloid, and consume that tasty beverage.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
gingerdawg
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Marley View Post
You said there had been lots of co2 bubbles on the wine thief when you checked the SG at 1.036. I'm wondering if the reading was inaccurate due to the bubbles. Maybe a bit of degassing of the sample and a good spin of the hydrometer float to get the bubbles off.
+1 to this. I have a vat of Skeeter Pee that I could simply not get a hydrometer reading on due to carbonation. There were so many bubbles that it foamed when I dropped the hydro into the thief.
Degass the batch and measure again.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Derrick123
Recipes 

I truly appreciate your help and input. I had some nutrient so fed it about 5 tsp.
(5 gallon batch). I have no energizer, maybe I should pick some up.

It has been so consistent at the same reading for so long that I'm pretty convinced it is stalled.

I will be stirring a couple of times a day to get ride of the gas in the hopes it ferments more. If not I will use some clarifier so we can have this ready by Christmas. ...what do you think?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick123 View Post
I truly appreciate your help and input. I had some nutrient so fed it about 5 tsp.
(5 gallon batch). I have no energizer, maybe I should pick some up.

It has been so consistent at the same reading for so long that I'm pretty convinced it is stalled.

I will be stirring a couple of times a day to get ride of the gas in the hopes it ferments more. If not I will use some clarifier so we can have this ready by Christmas. ...what do you think?
If you are going to add any more, I'd treat just a gallon of it. Make sure you are keeping it at a decent room temp (say, 70* to 75'ish) and that it's fully warmed up ... add a bit more sugar and use the nutrients etc to try and get it going again, once it gets going feed it a couple times 5 or so hours apart with additional juice or sugar water, then if you are successful once it is rocking, add this "starter" back to the main batch. This way you aren't adding so much nutrient to a batch that has not proved itself to be active yet, and a batch that is also already a good part of the way to its finish (having used a good portion of the sugar in the must).

Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #20
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

just noticed you did not state what yeast you were using ... what did you use?

Quick Reply