Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Spicing Apple wine in the bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
arkenbergcn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Spicing Apple wine in the bottle?

I have got some apple wine that I need to bottle and I am wanting to spice a couple of bottles of it for Thanksgiving/Christmas. Has anyone ever added any spices directly into the bottle before corking? I was thinking along the lines of adding a stick or two of cinnamon, some nutmeg, all spice, and etc. , but I am not sure where to start and what to add. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You know, I think I'd spice it when serving. Hot spiced wine is one of life's true pleasures. If you want to create spiced wine that's spiced in the bottle I'd add the spices in the primary fermentation. (See Disturbed Chemist's awesome Texas Twang recipe for an example). But a couple of cloves and allspice corns, a cinnamon stick, hot apple wine... Well, give me a call and I'll be more than happy to taste test for you!!! :-)

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
arkenbergcn
Recipes 

I did add some cinnamon sticks during fermentation, but I can't taste any hint of it at all. I guess I didn't add enough. Maybe I'll throw a bottle in the crock pot and then add some spices until I like it. Sort of like a mulled wine.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
LawrenceJackson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've found that the best time to add spices to apple wine is while it is bulk ageing. Go easy on the cloves, they can be over powering if too much is added. I usually use 3 cinnamon sticks and 1 or 2 cloves in 3 gallons. After bulk ageing for a month or 2, sample a little and if the spice is not the way you want it, add a little more of what ever you think is lacking.
LJ

Quick Reply