Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Specific Gravity with Fresh Fruit Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
lukebuz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Specific Gravity with Fresh Fruit Wine

OK, so I'm making my first batch of fresh fruit wine (16 cups of chopped apples and 2 cups of raisins) for 1 gallon.
Chopped all the fruit and bagged it. Dissolved a certain amount of sugar in 1 gallon of water, and poured over apples. Stirred, and let sit for 24 hours with all chemicals except yeast.
Took a SG reading, around 1.080 (no yeast yet). I thought this is low for what I'm aiming for - but then, what about the sugar from the fresh fruit? The apples are still pretty much intact and contain sugar after just 24 hours...won't the yeast ferment the sugar in the water, and the sugar in the fruit? I plan the leave the fruit in the bucket for 7-10 days...
How do you know what your final ABV% will be, if you don't know the full amount of sugar you are starting with?
Maybe this noob is missing something. Help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4378 Times on 3185 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebuz View Post
OK, so I'm making my first batch of fresh fruit wine (16 cups of chopped apples and 2 cups of raisins) for 1 gallon.
Chopped all the fruit and bagged it. Dissolved a certain amount of sugar in 1 gallon of water, and poured over apples. Stirred, and let sit for 24 hours with all chemicals except yeast.
Took a SG reading, around 1.080 (no yeast yet). I thought this is low for what I'm aiming for - but then, what about the sugar from the fresh fruit? The apples are still pretty much intact and contain sugar after just 24 hours...won't the yeast ferment the sugar in the water, and the sugar in the fruit? I plan the leave the fruit in the bucket for 7-10 days...
How do you know what your final ABV% will be, if you don't know the full amount of sugar you are starting with?
You will get some sugars from the apples, but not much.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebuz View Post
This is where Pressing the fruit as opposed to Chopping it comes into play. After 24 hrs a liquid where the fruit was pressed and had pectic enzymes added with be one that you can get good SG readings from.

Quick Reply