Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > sourdough with wine yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Descender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default sourdough with wine yeast

Three weeks ago, I started a sourdough starter with 2 cups water, 2 cups flour and a pinch each of Red Star Champagne, Red Star Montrachet, and Fleiscman's bread yeast. Been making awesome bread for a week now. Starting to smell sour now. Good stuff....

Currently brewing: Rhino Farts

In Stasis: Rocket fuel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Descender
Recipes 

I'm sure there is occasionally "extra yeast" left over from fermenting. Make bread. It also surprises me the alcohol this stuff produces. Anyone have ideas on a flour wine? I started with a cup of flour and a cup of water. Every morning there is a layer of booze...

Old 10-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That layer of booze in your sourdough is called 'pot liquor' and the 'old sourdoughs' in camp would drink this hooch. I just stir it back in and adjust my hydration in the starter as if you have overnight development your starter is usually too wet.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Descender
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
That layer of booze in your sourdough is called 'pot liquor' and the 'old sourdoughs' in camp would drink this hooch. I just stir it back in and adjust my hydration in the starter as if you have overnight development your starter is usually too wet.
What is causing the saccharification of the flour? I don't think I have much, if any, bacteria in there yet. It started to make booze very early on.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
Jericurl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you find that using wine yeast changes the flavor of the sourdough in any way?

Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Descender
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
Do you find that using wine yeast changes the flavor of the sourdough in any way?
Traditionaly, sourdough is made with wild yeasts and bacteria that are naturally airborne and spontaneously infect a flour and water mixture. Sometimes people use a starter available commercially. They say that if you use a commercial starter, eventually the wild yeasts from your local environment will take over and change the taste of your dough. I think this may or may not happen with my starter. I'm guessing that one of the three yeast I started mine with will eventually overtake the other two, but will probably prevail over the wild yeasts. I have not done a test batch made with a local starter against my own, so I couldn't tell you if it changes the flavor or not. I just know it makes for good bread so far.

Quick Reply