Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > small batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
ctwtp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default small batches

going to be doing lots of small batches of wine until i find a recipe I'm happy with....my question is does anyone else out there use 2L plastic bottles to do this?
have they performed well??

all thoughts/ ideas welcome

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I don't like plastic bottles... but then again I am that crazy guy doesn't like sanitizing chemicals either do I use them, yes my milk comes in plastic bottles, so does half the processed food in my fridge, and yes I use sanitizing chemicals on things I can not easily boil, heck even my primary fermenter, for whole fruit wines is plastic. BUT when I have an easy alternative I take it. If you want to make small batches get some large wine bottles the 1.5L size. Any restaurant that sells wine usually throws out tones of these larger bottles every day and if you ask often times they will save them for you.

As to your question about smaller batches, I think thats a great idea. I have done the same in several 1/2 gallon jugs I have. Just keep in mind that the smaller the batch the more accurate you need to be with your measurements.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
Rowdy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I make all my wines in 1 gallon batches. I have two 2 gallon primary buckets and a bunch of 1 gallon glass vinegar jugs for secondaries.

Cruiscín Lán Grúdlann
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
muph
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the 1 gallon fruit juice bottles. Usually I buy them for the wine anyways, take off the cap and use a universal carboy bung & airlock. Make sure the plastic resin code on the bottom isn't 3 or 7 otherwise the bottle may contain BPA. If it does have 3 or 7 look for "NO BPA"... If you care about that stuff.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
ctwtp
Recipes 

thanks everyone, lot of stuff to think about.

luckily i work in the grounds of hotel/restaurant/ conference centre so i can get my hands on bottle and buckets, but got to be quick!

Quick Reply