Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee - Starting with Dry Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #41
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
FTR, I did the Pee too.

Threw everything in the carboy at once. Pitched 2 sachet of Montrachet on top.

Was fermenting by next day.
I saw you had and nobody was listening

I too plan on tossing two 1118 packets of yeast and only rehydrating. The goal is a lot of yeast, since dry yeast have nutrient in the pack, why not just spend $2 and put two packs in?

Did you break up the yeast nutrient additions? I was thinking of putting it all in at once (I think what you did). For the cost of the recipe.... Worth one failure. I think people over thought this recipe. Lots of busy work IMO from the originator, but I can't talk yet until I try a simpler approach.

My plan is - everything in at the start (except camden/sorbate). Let ferment dry then force carb it for hard lemonade on the lawn tractor and SWMBO.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #42
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
I saw you had and nobody was listening

I too plan on tossing two 1118 packets of yeast and only rehydrating. The goal is a lot of yeast, since dry yeast have nutrient in the pack, why not just spend $2 and put two packs in?

Did you break up the yeast nutrient additions? I was thinking of putting it all in at once (I think what you did). For the cost of the recipe.... Worth one failure. I think people over thought this recipe. Lots of busy work IMO from the originator, but I can't talk yet until I try a simpler approach.
I used 2/3 of the recipe amounts of nutrient and energizer at pitch.

Waited til I saw fermentation and re-aerated and pitched the last 1/3 of the nutrient and energizer.

The final product is too sweet IMO because of all the backsweetening. But the fermentation was complete and very dry.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #43
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cool. So I wonder if the yeast nutrient separate addition is necessary.

You could hold back on the backsweeten for next time around?

Do you plan to do another batch, or is it worth all the press it is getting?

L-1118 yeast is very tough

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #44
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I will post back when I start this... I think this weekend. My plan will be to:

1. Mix sugar, concentrate, yeast nutrient, Yeast energizer up in a sanitized bottling bucket.
2. Aerate mixture
3. Rehydrate two packs of lavlin 1118, once foamy, pitch into carboy
4. after ferment cold crash 24-48 hrs, then camden at 30 PPM, sorbate, backsweeten to taste and force carb of course.

I figure worst case I can repitch yeast. I would be out .80 for another packet.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #45
Polorl69
Recipes 

I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment. here is what I did a little differently than the original recipe

- did not let it sit for 2 days
- added only 1 bottle of Real Lemon on the first day
- added the 2nd bottle on the 2nd day
- used 2 packs of EC-1118 ( put in 90 deg water 15 minutes before pitching, stired in 5 minutes before)

I started at 1.68 finished at .099. I fermenteed in a glass carboy with an airlock the whole time, never got a sulfer smell at all. It was a very very agressive fermenter, It bubbled for 6 days straight, on the 7th it was done. reracked and killed off the yeast.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #46
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment. here is what I did a little differently than the original recipe

- did not let it sit for 2 days
- added only 1 bottle of Real Lemon on the first day
- added the 2nd bottle on the 2nd day
- used 2 packs of EC-1118 ( put in 90 deg water 15 minutes before pitching, stired in 5 minutes before)

I started at 1.68 finished at .099. I fermenteed in a glass carboy with an airlock the whole time, never got a sulfer smell at all. It was a very very agressive fermenter, It bubbled for 6 days straight, on the 7th it was done. reracked and killed off the yeast.
Thanks for this information! I thought the process of the recipe was a little busy, I suspect that was a correct assumption.

Should have asked - how did you like the turnout? Would you repeat it?

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #47
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a batch of this in secondary right now. I didn't have a yeast cake either so I hydrated a single packet of 1118 with Go-Ferm according to the manufacturers instructions. After ~30 mins I added an equal volume of must, left it another 30 mins and pitched it.

I added FermaidK after ~10 hours (per the manufacturers instructions) and fermentation was clearly underway, albeit slowly, the next day. Fermentation stayed at a slow pace for the first few days so I added a heater to bring the must up from ~65 deg to ~70, this definitely increased the apparent speed of fermentation (airlock activity) but still not what I would really call a strong fermentation.

After surfing around for others experiences again, I read Lon's recipe for the 100th time and noticed this quote that I somehow had skimmed over before "It helps to keep this must warm (70-80 degrees)." I adjusted the heater up to ~76 degs and once the must got up to temperature things started moving at what I would consider to be a "normal" pace.

Moral of this story for me at least is that I will start the must at around 76 degs from the get go next time.

On the subject of "next time", SWMBO (and pretty much anybody else that hears I am making "Lemon juice wine") pulls a "bluerch" face and clearly expects this to go down the drain...well that all changed when she tasted the cup or so I had left over after racking into secondary It was lightly carbonated from fermentation so I am hoping this will be my gateway into a kegging setup so I can force carb this for her to enjoy

Cheers

HW

Old 02-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #48
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Forgot to mention a few things;

I did let the must stand for ~24 hours before pitching, not because of preservatives in the lemon juice, mine had none, but because I was worried about the amounts of chlorine in the tap water hindering fermentation in an already difficult must.

I did whip the must for the first couple of days but then used a long handled spoon after that and concentrated more on stirring up the yeast off the bottom than really whipping oxygen into it...I know Lon and many others have made gallon after gallon of this stuff but whipping oxygen into an anaerobic fermentation just seems wrong to me (not that I am a fermentation expert!!!)

Next batch I won't let it stand and I will stir it but not whip it...and chances are I'll be here crying that I should have followed Lon's experience and could he please help me fix it now

Cheers

HW

Last edited by HappyWino; 02-10-2011 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #49
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWino View Post
so I am hoping this will be my gateway into a kegging setup so I can force carb this for her to enjoy

Cheers

HW
Haha - I never knew sceeter pee was a gateway drug... That was how I got mine. "Honey, you know I could make something that tastes like woodchuck with carbonation if we had a kegging set up...

Ha - the rest was history.

I agree on your point of additional aeration (after the fermentation is going well). I think it won't help. Now perhaps you are stirring up the yeast and reactivating some that has dropped out of suspension. But for me I would like to see what happens with a much less hands on approach.

I had also thought it would be crucial to have the ferment temp above 70F.

Thanks for the info!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #50
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thinking just a little more about stirring...if starting @ ~76 degs gets me a solid fermentation I won't mess with it at all at that point.

Cheers

HW

Quick Reply