New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee with Nottingham's stuck ferment:(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
A50SNAKE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default Skeeter Pee with Nottingham's stuck ferment:(

Hey all, I finally found some nottinghams, got one for a SP and one for my next batch of Apfelwein. now I made a started similar to how Geniz did his, made it with the dry yeast and water and sugar and then add a bit of the SP, and let it sit...then added some more, and so on until my 1/2G jar was 3/4 full, and still bubbling away good...then I dumped that into my pail, and nada....nothing...its still on 1.060 for the last 2 days...

I'm not sure how to get it started up again...should I had more nutrients...heat up the pail a bit by placing it into another larger tub, of warm/hot water to raise the temps, to get the yeasties going again?

I don't want to pitch the other nottinghams, as I wanted to save it for my apfelwein, and its pretty hard to come by around here (drove over an hour and bought their only 2 packs).

thanks for any help or tips you can give a stuck skeeter pee'er.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you use any energizer or nutrient?

If not do so and stir the crap out of it to aerate

Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, I followed the instructions exactly, except using a yeast starter of course. So there is already some nutrients & energizer in there, but should I add more? & I've been stirring it daily as well, also using a stainless steel whisk to really get it aerated, same as I did with my first batch, but I used the EC-1118 then though. This is my first attempt with a yeast other then the 1118. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok, said screw it...added another 3 tsp. of the yeast nutrient and 1 tsp. of the yeast energizer, the samething you are supposed to add when it hits 1.050, but I added it now, to get things moving, hopefully...

Old 06-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Isn't that an ale yeast???

Might not be as alcohol tolerant as a wine yeast and simply has been rendered inactive due to alcohol poisoning (if I had a nickle for every time THAT has happened).

Old 06-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
fluidmechanics
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD
Isn't that an ale yeast???

Might not be as alcohol tolerant as a wine yeast and simply has been rendered inactive due to alcohol poisoning (if I had a nickle for every time THAT has happened).
I also have a batch of SP going right now. My LHBS recommended using white wine yeast because of what the Doc said above. Mine took a day to get going but is seriously going hard now.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

yes it is an ale yeast, that was my thought process for using it...I'm going to use it for my apfelwein as well. I have read that the EC-1118 tends to strip away the fruit flavors almost completely, where as an ale yeast leaves more of them hanging around. also, I figured since it was an ale yeast, that it would not ferment to as high of an ABV as the 1118 did, which would make for a slightly easier drinking "Everyday summer beverage", at about 7-9% as opposed to the EC-1118 which was 12-16% I think.

or have I simplified it a little bit too much here, and it just doesn't work that way?

thanks,

Old 06-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I used an ale yeast on my spiced pumpkin mead and it did great. Stopped fermenting at about 9.5% ABV. The ale yeast should start just fine in a wine. Low PH may be the problem here. In SP you are only adding about 2/3 the of the real lemon juice up front and later adding the 3rd bottle. Are you doing that or was all the lemon introduced up front? It may be worth it to run and get some ph strips and if the must is below about 3.4 then add in a little potassium bicarbonate and keep testing until you get to about 3.5 or so.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

arpolis, yes I followed the recipe steps exactly, only using 2 of 3 bottles of the real lemon. I'll go grab some of those PH strips today...and then just add potassium bicarbonate until it gets higher then 3.4, correct?

thanks, also, is there another name for potassium bicarbonate? I know somethings in this hobby have a few different names, and when I go ask for them at my local small town shops I'm usually greeted as if I had two heads or something, LOL...

thanks again,

Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Not sure if there is another name. My LHBS caries 2oz bottles of the stuff just called what it is.

And yes the yeast usually likes PH ranges arounf 3.5 - 4.0. It can work higher but I would want to keep the PH as low as possible on this being a lemon wine. Too high a PH and this would just taste funny.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Quick Reply