Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > " skeeter pee" experiment question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
crazyseany
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver
Dry yeast is soo cheap for me... it's not worth gambling on used Pee Yeast. It works really hard and can be pretty stressed. I re-used a batch and it went bad during fermentation, I didn't realize it till I had poured the next batch on top of it! Basically I had racked into the bottling bucket and dumped the next batch on the slurry I had just racked from. Then went about bottling the first batch. That's when I found it was bad.
Can you use fesh dry yeast to start a batch? I have one empty primary left! Wgat kind of yeast if so?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default There's a whole thread devoted to it...

A few of us have been experimenting with DY (dry yeast) for a while now. All but 2 of my batches have been off Dry Yeast and I like it alot. Check out the post. The 2nd one should take you into that discussion a ways and there is a YouTube video someone did that I brought back to include. I used Redstar Montrachet the first few times and it cleared ALOT. My last batch was Cote de Blanc and it did not clear as well and took longer... I need to test another batch adn see if it was a fluke or from the Cote.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/skee...-yeast-212915/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/skee...ml#post3228367

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyseany View Post
Can you use fesh dry yeast to start a batch? I have one empty primary left! Wgat kind of yeast if so?
Usually I use the lees from other wines but the last batch I made was a double batch from dry yeasts.
EC-1118 and D47, side by side. Other than the extra DAP needed for the D47 carboy, they were otherwise identical.

Both were good but the D47 had a much fruitier bouquet and more pronounced lemon taste.

Quick Reply