Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > " skeeter pee" experiment question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default " skeeter pee" experiment question

I have a couple of batches of skeeter pee that is ready to rack into a clean carboy to finish clearing. I have made a ton of this stuff as it gets gone quick around my friends. Anyway I am thinking about inverting the sugar and just putting sugar water ( with the nutrient and tannin etc) back over the lees from these batches then when it is done , adding the lemon juice to flavor it. I was wondering if any of you thought this would ease the stress on the yeast because of the acidity being gone.... or am I just wasting sugar and time? Oh yeah before anyone asks NO I have not sorbated and sulfited it yet.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 AM   #2
phillyhomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made my first batch of skeeter pee (with red wine lees) last year, and I have an new 12oz bottle of lees in the fridge. I never actually added any nutrient or tannins to my first batch. Just sugar, Real Lemon (r), and good old H20. Most of my friends laughed at the idea, until summer came around and I force carbonated it in a keg, then bottled it and took it around for those hot summer days. Next thing I knew, I had 2, or 48 bottles left. People are begging for more.

But, as far as your question is concerned, if your gonna pour the new "sugar water" on top of the primary yeast, I don't see why they wouldn't take off. Don't bother trying on the secondary yeast, as they've had their full and are most likely dead.

And why sorbate if you don't want something sweet?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryshomebrew View Post
I made my first batch of skeeter pee (with red wine lees) last year, and I have an new 12oz bottle of lees in the fridge. I never actually added any nutrient or tannins to my first batch. Just sugar, Real Lemon (r), and good old H20. Most of my friends laughed at the idea, until summer came around and I force carbonated it in a keg, then bottled it and took it around for those hot summer days. Next thing I knew, I had 2, or 48 bottles left. People are begging for more.

But, as far as your question is concerned, if your gonna pour the new "sugar water" on top of the primary yeast, I don't see why they wouldn't take off. Don't bother trying on the secondary yeast, as they've had their full and are most likely dead.

And why sorbate if you don't want something sweet?
I DO want it sweet. The recipe calls for back sweetening, and I bottle. To avoid bombs I have to sorbate it. I getting ready to invert the sugar( no idea why that is necessary at all but thats what it calls for) and will let you guys know if it takes off or not.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Mixed the sugar water and tannins etc and topped up to a little over 4.5 gallons ( adding the 3 bottles of lemon juice should then hit 5.5 gallons) within 15 minutes I had airlock activity.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

HMMMMM I think a blowoff tube may be in order.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #6
crazyseany
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

so hows the sugar water going?

Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyseany View Post
so hows the sugar water going?
still bubbling away.. I cannot believe it isn't done yet.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #8
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

fermentation is sluggish at best. one carboy is still at 1.020 and one is WAY higher than that. They went NUTS at first.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 10-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Don't forget to update the Tally.... Maybe we can get to 1000 gal's this year!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/how-...n-made-221455/

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Dry yeast is soo cheap for me... it's not worth gambling on used Pee Yeast. It works really hard and can be pretty stressed. I re-used a batch and it went bad during fermentation, I didn't realize it till I had poured the next batch on top of it! Basically I had racked into the bottling bucket and dumped the next batch on the slurry I had just racked from. Then went about bottling the first batch. That's when I found it was bad.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Quick Reply