Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
peterrankin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Skeeter pee

I want to try a batch of skeeter pee, and from reading it is best to use yeast from a previous batch of wine. I have just finished a batch of cider and harvested the yeast show in the pic.

My questions are does the yeast look like it should(never reused before)

It is a nottingham yest will it be resilient enough?

do i need to do anything to it before i use it?

and lastly has any one else used cider yeast for skeeter pee and what were your results?

Thanks

img_0107.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I use nottingham for cider and I've reused it to make skeeter pee......worked great. I started my batch with 1/3 of the lemon concentrate and added a bottle every third day. I liked the results.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
peterrankin
Recipes 

Roadymi, Thanks for your response do you notice any odd flavors coming over?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I didn't notice any but I don't have the most refined palate. There are posts here about "yeast washing" if you still have concerns.

I just racked out my cider and poured my skeeter pee into the bucket w/o any further sanitizing....took off immediately.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
peterrankin
Recipes 

ok thanks i racked of the cider and have the yeast in a jar in the fridge ... i will dig around to see what i should do from here. ... just wanted some feedback on nottinham yeast/ Cider.

Many thanks

Old 03-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I came up with a better way to start skeeter pee than reusing a cake from a previous brew. Take a look at this quote from another post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
If you have done any reading about skeeter pee you will quickly realize the hardest part about making it is getting it to start. If you make a typical starter or simply pitch the dry yeast directly in to the must the acids from the lemon and the preservatives (sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite, and sodium sulfate)slow down the yeast and it can take a week or better before it really starts to take off.

Another solution that is common practice among skeeter pee makers is to simply make the skeeter pee or SP on top of the lees from a previous batch of wine. This is highly effective, however has two drawbacks, first it means you can only make SP when you have just finished another wine or cider, and two if the "starter wine" had any color to it (like a red) those colors can muddy the SP.

I have come up with a third solution that is highly effective and gets the SP going within about 48-72 hours.

After I have mixed my lemon, water, and sugar to create the SP must I sanitize a clear beer bottle and then use it as a container to make a starter with 4 oz of apple juice (I use a 4oz juice box, also I have found yeast seam to really do well in apple juice) and the yeast I am using. I fit the bottle with an air lock and let it sit for about an hour or two, watching for activity. When I have vigorous bubbling I add about 4oz of my SP mix and weight until it starts vigorously bubbling again (usually takes about 6-8 hours) I then add 4 more ounces of SP and once again give it about 6-8 hours. At this point my beer bottle is full, and quite foamy at the top from the activity. I then pour 1/2 of my starter in to the SP must, give the jug a quick swirl and refill the starter bottle with more SP liquid. Again it takes about 6-8 hours for the starter to start bubbling vigorously again and when I get to that point I repeat the previous step only I pour 2/3 of the starter in to the must, again give the must a swirl, replace the liquid in the starter with more SP, and repeat. I continue this process until my jug of skeeter pee starts bubbling on its own, at which point I dump the entire starter into the jug and top it off. I used this technique and made a starter two mornings ago and by this morning only 48 hours later my SP was bubbling away on its own. I have found this technique works extremely well and I believe it minimizes the stress on the yeast so I figured I would share.
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
peterrankin
Recipes 

thanks i will post my progress

Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
Railroadhooch
Recipes 

Daze thanks it works like a charm!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No yeast from a previous batch? No problem! Watch this video:

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
peterrankin
Recipes 

it is nearly ready to keg ... and tastes great

img_0220.jpg  

Quick Reply