Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #941
FredTheNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Anyone try adding Calcium Carbonate to the finished product to cut the acidity down a bit? I'm thinking about experimenting with 2.5 grams per gallon at a time until is reaches near 7.0.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #942
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Why make the PH 7.0? The point of Lemon flavor is to have Citric acid for the puckering sour affect. I think it would taste awful funny at a nutral PH.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #943
bk0
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It might also make it taste salty, neutralizing all that acid.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #944
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Not having a yeast cake from a previous batch of wine(I've not made wine), I went hunting for a wine yeast of sorts to use. South Africa has a shortage of brew type stores

I found a distillation supplier that also does some fruit wine goodies and he sells a no name yeast that he describes as "fruit wine yeast". This stuff is incredible, I racked to bigger buckets with more headspace just 5 hours after pitching a 1 litre starter at high krausen. Yes if I'd gone to bed without checking on the buckets I would have woken up to a blow out or two

The only serious deviation from the recipe was fresh lemon juice that we squeezed from fresh lemons in the morning

Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 AM   #945
dmcl700
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanmk1
not having a yeast cake from a previous batch of wine(i've not made wine), i went hunting for a wine yeast of sorts to use. South africa has a shortage of brew type stores

i found a distillation supplier that also does some fruit wine goodies and he sells a no name yeast that he describes as "fruit wine yeast". This stuff is incredible, i racked to bigger buckets with more headspace just 5 hours after pitching a 1 litre starter at high krausen. Yes if i'd gone to bed without checking on the buckets i would have woken up to a blow out or two :d

the only serious deviation from the recipe was fresh lemon juice that we squeezed from fresh lemons in the morning :d
:d

Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #946
dmcl700
Recipes 

Can I add a can of welches grape concentrate to my pee at the end? And if i do, how much sugar should I add?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #947
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcl700 View Post
Can I add a can of welches grape concentrate to my pee at the end? And if i do, how much sugar should I add?
You can do anything to your pee, that's what makes America great. After you add the concentrate take a gravity reading. One pound of sugar will give you 9 gravity points for a 5 gallon batch. Most people sweeten to around 1.014-1.025. Shoot low, taste, and add more sugar until you reach the level you want. Then you can repeat on the next batch.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #948
FlashJT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Update: Finally got my pee to clear recently. Picked up some sparkolloid at the LHBS last weekend and now she's all sparkly clear. That's some pretty good stuff (the sparkolloid that is). Cleared up within a couple days. Went ahead and racked it Sunday and will give it another week or so to see if anything else falls out, then it's finally time to sweeten and enjoy this one! Yay!

Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 PM   #949
static
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 54

So here is a question. Why the 1/3rd cup of juice when making the sugar invert? Why not just use water and add all the juice at once?

The yeast knows what it's doing.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #950
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

So I am getting ready to make some more of this. I don't like the sulfur smell and taste the sorbate adds. Is there another way to kill the yeasties?

Or

If I keg it and keep it refrigerated can I not use the sorbate?

Quick Reply