Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #931
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboyles123 View Post
Well its been 72 hrs and I have zero activity. I whipped it good yesterday and again tonight. I gave it a shot of oxygen tonight too. I'll give it another 48 hrs and then if it hasn't started I'll have to move on to plan B.

Now I just need to come up with a plan B! Any advice?
A packet of EC-1118.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 04:26 AM   #932
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts

So anyway, I racked my pee into secondary the other day, and took a growler full to throw in the fridge first off the racking cane to catch most of the yeast that would come through.

Also added kmeta and sorbate to secondary, haven't added the sugar yet.

The pee in the growler has a sulfuric odor to it. I'm not a wine maker generally so i don't have a lot of wine making tools around. So, i have never whipped this stuff, not having a whip.

But offhand, i have a 4 foot length of 1/4" PEX water tubing - semi-rigid, slightly curved.

If i chuck that up in my drill, will it serve as a good-enough whip for degassing and mixing in the sweetening sugar?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #933
LoneTreeFarms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
So anyway, I racked my pee into secondary the other day, and took a growler full to throw in the fridge first off the racking cane to catch most of the yeast that would come through.

The pee in the growler has a sulfuric odor to it. I'm not a wine maker generally so i don't have a lot of wine making tools around. So, i have never whipped this stuff, not having a whip.

But offhand, i have a 4 foot length of 1/4" PEX water tubing - semi-rigid, slightly curved.

If i chuck that up in my drill, will it serve as a good-enough whip for degassing and mixing in the sweetening sugar?
i've seen on here where some people take a metal coat hanger attached to a drill and use that as their wire whip.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #934
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post

I do not have a wine whip myself but after hearing all the SO2 problems with this recipe I was determined to be as cheap & Lazy as possible and not drive the whole 9 miles to the LHSB shop and get an actual wine whip while still making sure I have no SO2 problems. I cut up a coat hanger and bent it to look like this:

wine-whip.jpg

It is lop sided & shakes the hell out of my carboy. But I think that is what makes this work so well lol. It froths up nice with 60 seconds of whiping at a time. I did this with my SP must every morning and night for the first week or so untill all noticable fermentation stoped. I have had ZERO bad smells and nothing but lemony goodness from my airlock.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #935
hillybilly
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts

If you use a piece of copper you can get rid of the smell really fast

Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #936
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I seem to recall that the original skeeter pee recipe recommends that you use lees that are healthy and preferably not from a high alcohol wine where yeast may be suffering from alcohol toxicity. Since many people rack their wine from primary to a carboy/airlock when O.G. has decreased by 2/3, or maybe they use a certain number regardless of O.G. perhaps 1.030, 1.010...they opt to use those early lees. They are healthy and happy and tend to kick off your SkeeterPee rather quickly. Not yo say that lees from a 6 week or older wine will not work, but I think the outcome will be better if one uses lees from the very young must. I once used lees from a wine rhat was dry, was at the six week mark...and I had to pitch a packet of new yeast because I could not establish a good colony.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 AM   #937
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My yeast slurry was from a 8 week old 9.5% ABV white grape peach wine using Lalvin 71B. Everything was picture perfect on the fermentation. Could not have been happier.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #938
FlashJT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally made it through all 94 pages.....do I get a prize?

I started a batch of SP back on 8/22, before finding this thread. Figured I'd give my method in case anyone cares:

• I only have 3 gallon carboys so I scaled the recipe down to a smaller batch.
  • I didn't have any yeast energizer, so I skipped that addition
  • I added all lemon juice in the beginning (accidently)
  • I did make the invert sugar, although I probably didn't "cook" it the full amount of time.
  • I waited 28 hours after mixing everything before adding the yeast. I whipped up the must a couple times in between to dissipate the preservatives as best as possible.
  • I didn't have a yeast cake to use, so just used a single packet of EC1118. I re-hydrated it per the instructions on the packet, using the must to re-hydrate instead of water. Within a few minutes, the re-hydrated yeast were actively fermenting the re-hydration sample.
  • I added the re-hydrated yeast to the primary, and whipped them like crazy. I also whipped them like crazy at least two times a day until I moved to the secondary.
  • Starting SG was 1.074, and by 8/27 (only 4 days after pitching!) it was down to 0.995. I didn't keep track of the fermentation temperature, but it was probably between 75-80F. It was cool enough outside for us to keep the windows open, so I don't believe the must would have gotten much hotter than 80F. Definitely a fast fermentation, but it seems most of mine are for some reason. I don't recall any sulfur smells, but haven't tasted it yet to see if there are any off tastes present due to this rapid fermentation.
  • Racked to the secondary on 8/27, and added bentonite, k-meta, and sorbate. I also degassed at this time.
  • Racked again on 9/5 to get the SP off most of the sediment. Used some left over pear must as a topping solution.

SP has remained untouched since then, and still isn't clear. My original reason for writing this post was to ask you guys why my pee hasn't cleared yet, but I think I spotted my mistake when listing out my process: The pear must.

Since I didn't wait to be sure the SP was completely fermented dry (I just added k-meta and sorbate at 0.995 to kill off all the yeast), there might have still been some fermentable sugar in the mix. By adding the pear must (which likely still has both yeast and sugar), I've likely started fermentation again, albeit a very weak one since the available yeast and sugar in there has to be pretty small.

Does this sound like a reasonable explanation for why my pee isn't clear yet, even after adding bentonite? If so, I assume I will need to re-add the k-meta and sorbate before backsweetening, right?

P.S. Thanks to reading through this thread, I've just started my first apfelwein. I need more carboys.....

Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #939
smegger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Does this sound like a reasonable explanation for why my pee isn't clear yet, even after adding bentonite? If so, I assume I will need to re-add the k-meta and sorbate before backsweetening, right?
I believe fining agents won't work terribly well if the ferment is still active, so yeah that is probably what your problem is. You are probably correct about the pear juice probably adding more sugar.

As for the k-meta and sorbate, I've never used them before myself, but I assume if they didn't work you may need to do them again.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #940
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

You were fine to stabilize at 0.995, but did you recheck SG after adding pear must. The pear component likely threw alot of pectin to the ferment. Most use Sparkolloid with SP, thoufh my batches always clear on their own. May try SuperKleer.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Quick Reply