Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #781
Chad_C
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I searched the thread and didn't come up with an answer. What size carboy will this recipe need? I don't have a fermenter bucket, but do have three 6.5 gallon and three 5 gallon carboys. Iam going to be using 1118 yeast, will there be enough head space in a 5 gallon carboy, or would the extra space in the 6.5 do better?

Or can i just use 5 gallon buckets?

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #782
BoundForBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

whatever size batch you want to make... you dont need a lot if any head space. Just a ton of bubbles no krausen.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #783
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 43 Posts

I got my first 5 gallon batch started. I used all three of the lemons and all the enerziser and nutrtiemt right from the start. I made up some starter with apple juice and sugar primed about four times and it is bubbling real good. Will it matter that I misread and added all at the start instead of waiting for the third bottle of juice and the second yeast helpers. Thanks Mike

Old 06-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #784
stujol
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I would add more yeast nutrient and energizer yet at the 1.050 sg mark yet. It won't hurt it at least and you will probably need it to prevent the strained yeast smell (suphur). I would not add any more lemon concentrate.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #785
matteroftaste
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i would really love to make this but am having a really hard time getting the 100% lemon juice where i live. the closest i can get is 40% juice from concentrate. what do you think i should do, increase the quantity until i have the required ratio? i think i should factor in the fact its made from concentrate rather than regular. hmm...

please forgive any colloquialisms....

Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #786
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Can you get just strait lemons and juice them?

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #787
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can try Yooper's hard lemonade if you want to make something good from lemonade concentrate!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #788
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts

Now I know why they call it lawnmower juice. Unlike beer, it doesn't foam up in the cup holder. Tastes good with bits of grass clippings in it.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #789
Rocky71
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've made a few batches. I used dry wine yeast (Red Star Montrachet) the first go around, building up the yeast and exposing it to a little lemon, for a few days. I had rhino farts that would kill the most hardened mother in law. I feel the yeast had a big part in it.

Since then I have used EC-118. I start the must and yeast starter at the same time. I used two packs of dry yeast into a an empty growler with a little sugar and water. After it started to ferment well I added in a cup of the must (about 8-12 hours after). And another 2 cups about 8-12 hours later. I then pitched the yeast into the must about 36 hours after I started them. No rhino farts at all.

The first batch I mostly poured out do to the overwhelming sulphur smell. I did save a few bottles and two in four seemed to be okay. The other two still smelled horrible almost a year later.

I don't recommend using Red Star Montrachet. I used it in other batches of various things and it seems very susceptible to producing rhino farts in both Skeeter Pee and Apfelwien to name a few. I am one of many people who used dry yeast and by aerating the must for a few days and building up a starter have been successful at making Skeeter Pee without rhino farts so don't be afraid.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #790
lalnx
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I to just use ec-1118, I rehydrate the yeast while making my must and drinking 1 glass of grape juice from a 64oz bottle of welche's White grape juice. The remaining juice gets the rehydrated yeast, the lid sat back on, and we have instant starter. 24 hours later, it just gets poured into a well shaken must. Then just let her rip (adding nutrient and energizer per the recipe as noted) No stink!

Quick Reply