Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #601
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fx4dude View Post
Question for the skeeter pee gurus...

Since I'm more a beer brewer than wine maker, I don't have any active wine fermentations at the moment, so I chose to pick up some Lalvin EC-1118. Would it be better to hydrate the yeast before pitching, or just sprinkle dry yeast into the fermentor?

Thanks
always better to hydrate. I would just double pitch (two packets of 1118) and hydrate in water that is about 90-95F for 5-10 minutes before pitching.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #602
lalnx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 1118 yeast starter

I hydrate the 1118, then take a 64oz bottle of white grape juice, pour a glass of it to give to one of the kids, then add the hydrated yeast slurry into the jug, and set the lid bak on top, instant starter. I can even crank the lid down occasionally and give it a shake. Mix up the Pee, and then 24 hours later pitch in the starter.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #603
02fx4dude
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks all, I will at least rehydrate the yeast, although sirthomas has me thinking about starters for the future. I only picked up one packet of yeast at LHBS so that will have to do.

The few wine kits I have made say to sprinkle the yeast into the must without rehydrating or stirring. Wasn't sure if there was a specific reason wine doesn't require it.

Sirthomas, have you considered trying kiwi? I make Belgian Wit with kiwi and its great. Can be pricey though.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #604
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 57

The way I understand it, unless from concentrate kit, wine is generally pure juice. Rehydrating would mean dilution but honestly who cares about a few mL if it means a cleaner ferment?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #605
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Never made kiwi before. I'll add it to the list. I might be intoxicated on my Mango Pee ATM. For a couple hours of checking on a starter, you end up with a rocking and raging starter to pitch. I has a mixed berry pee with the 71-b yeast Ferment 1.106 to dry in 3 days. It was insane. Made quite the tasty beverage with just a little more work

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #606
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After listening to some shows on the Brewing Network. And learning ALOT more about Brewing Beer in my evolution to All Grain, I have become a huge advocate of starters. I *was* doing starters before on my Pee but got time constrained (lazy) on my last couple of batches. So I half ass'ed the starter. And it makes a difference with the Dry Yeast Method.

And starter's don't necessarily mean dilution... I use a bit of water to re-hydrate and then build the starter with half strength of my must and slowly add full strength additions to it.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #607
Sirthomas42
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When making my starters, the only diluting comes from the 2-3 oz of water I rehydrate the yeast in. After that, I'll either use the straight must, or a juice concentrate similar to what I'm making and mix it with water so the starter's OG is roughly the same as the must.

Haven't had a batch fizzle out since I started doing this.

Pendergrast Family Wines: Bottling in memory of Thomas and Glennadene Miller

Primary: Spiced Apfelwein, Banana, Habanero Mead, Mango Wine, White grape-Raspberry

Secondary: Apfelwein, Choco-cherry Mead, Plum Mead, Blueberry-Vanilla Mead, Mixed berry wine+mead, Cherry Wine

Bottled: Too many to list!

Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #608
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I didn't mean dilution of the gravity as much as I meant dilution with something other than pure juice. Either way, seems to me it would be worth losing a point of gravity with a better finished result anyway.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #609
02fx4dude
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Well, looks like I will be doing a starter anyway. I rehydrated the yeast friday night and pitched and this morning there's not much activity to speak of, an occasional bubble in the airlock and that's all.

So it will probably be Saturday before I can get to the LHBS and get a starter going. I have a mead that is actively fermenting at this time. Is it possible to use some yeast from that to make a starter for the pee?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #610
02fx4dude
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Guess I spoke too soon. Got home from work this afternoon and it was bubbling away.

I'm still doing a starter for the next batch. It's all about learning I guess.

Quick Reply