Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #531
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Perhaps I wasn't clear but I got the impression the finings were optional. I actually prefer the idea of cloudy SP. The clear looks too mello yello to me personally.

Several in this thread have claimed to pasturize them rather than addiives at the end but you are going to have to do something. Can't help you with the energizer but as dinner says above it seems to work ok without it in a pinch (I did add yeast nutrient for the energizer tho). In more than a few cases I've used the wife's expired bakers yeast for nutrient if I was short or waiting for a shipment without problem. Add a small amount of water, boil, then dump yeast in. IIRC I read somewhere that gradual heating to boil to kill can create off flavors. Also the yeast with vitamin C seems to work great (almost energizer-ish) but in this case I'm not sure it would matter since lemon has a bunch already I believe..

Thanks btw dinner, turned out either dead yeast (montracet) or they just couldn't handle it. Threw in 1/2 pack of 1118 and it took off no complaints or off odors. I used the preservative free stuff out of the freezer section at WM tho.

I concur with the above poster about Midwest. Usually cheapest and some of the nicest people you could hope to deal with in my personal experience and they ship fast (as opposed to one nameless one it took like 3 weeks for). Them Minnesota folks seem to be eerily nice... They've won most of my business since I first used them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #532
Accidic

Recipes 

Has anyone tried Sodium Benzoate instead of Potassium Sorbate for this? I'm not sure of I have enough of the K Sorbate left but I've got plenty Sodium Benzoate. Don't think I've ever used it in fact. As a sidenote I and noone drinking are diabetic and the dosage is drastically smaller comparatively... The Sorbate is 0.5 tsp per gallon and the Benzoate is 0.25 tsp per 6 gallons. Might have to get the old scale out to get the right dose though.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #533
bjl110
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I actually bought my equipment and my first two kits from MW and they have been super helpful/nice, so I am more than happy about giving them some more of my business.

I still have a couple of weeks till my apfelwein comes off it's cake, so I've still got plenty of time in that regard. I might take the above suggestion and not use all of the finning (unless it would severely negatively affect the product), as a strong yellow color appeals to me for lemonade.

Thinking About: Oak Aged Stout, BDSA
Oh Lisa, you and your stories. Bart is a vampire, beer kills braincells. Now let's all go back to that ...building...thingy...where our beds and TV...is. - Homer

Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 AM   #534
Duxx
Recipes 

So my pee has just finished 1 month in the fermenter. The SG is down to 0.994. As per my previous posts I used Wy 1056 yeast. Several people on this post have mentioned the sulfur "fart" smell that this can develop...well I have had that since the second week. I expected it to dissipate during the last 2 weeks but it has not. Any suggestions on how to eliminate that smell? Wasn't that a Lynyrd Skynyrd song?..."That Smell?" Oh yeah, I smell that smell.

BTW, congrats to the Lon (the inventor of skeeter pee) I saw your "Liquid Lunch Box" in the most recent release of BYO Magazine.

"Tan and lean like a long neck bottle." Zac Brown Band.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #535
Accidic

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl110
I read about 20 pages and did a "search thread" but didn't come up with exactly my question:

I don't have any yeast energizer/nutrient/finings, and my "L"HBS is a three hour round trip (and is only open three days a week!). Would this work without that stuff? Or maybe there is a substitute that I might have or can get at a grocery store (think walmart, not whole foods, as that is a three hour trip as well)? Thanks!
Energizer: per dinnerstick several posts above yours he has done several batches w/no energizer np. My recent was energizer-less and I have no off smells but haven't sampled yet.

Nutrient: dead yeast works as nutrient in a pinch. I boil mine in water (wife buys 2lbs bakers yeast at a time for $4.50 at sams) and add. But I always boil tap water here cause of very small% of amoeba in water report so is easy. The bakers yeast with ascorbic acid added actually does better than proper nutrient but I did end up with off flavors once. Doubt it matters with vitamin c content of sp tho.

Finings: I got nothing for this but tbh I'm not a fining fan. I always feel like I can taste it. Lon said they were optional on his website tho iirc if you don't mind cloudy sp. I've made several batches and all were fine without fining although my current I left sit extra and it has cleared quite a bit on it's own. Used no energizer tho.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #536
turtle
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Started my first batch of this yesterday...roughly $10 for 5 gallons ain't bad.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #537
brazedowl
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ok so I'll ask... I made a batch of this and it finished SUPER dry and sour. like it was essentially lemon juice, alcohol and water. Is that what was SUPPOSED to happen? I followed the recipe but was hoping for something sweeter. Just add more sugar next time?

In Progress: Ginger Spiced Cider
Bottled: oodles and oodles

"What senses do we lack that we cannot see or hear another world all around us?"

Old 08-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #538
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 22

add more sugar this time!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #539
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The recipe calls for back sweetening. Did you miss that part? I use wine conditioner and it works great.

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #540
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Unless you want 16%abv, don't just add sugar at the beginning. You would have to add sugar until the yeast can't make any more alcohol and then more until it is sweet.

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Quick Reply