Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #511
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Just cracked two bottles off the pee I had aging on raspberries. I sweetened as per the original recipe with these as well and they are just not doing it for me. With 2 tsp of sugar added to the glass they taste good, with 3 tsp and ice they are PHENOMENAL. Next batch I make I will hopefully have the keg setup and I will try sparkling and over sweetened.
mine is in the keg on tap and it is "phenomenal".. i dried mine out and backsweetened with a mix of xylitol and pure stevia.. the xylitol is not cheap and didnt want to use the full 2lbs as i had planned on so i used a little stevia to for the second lbs of the sweetener.. the xylitol seems to hit up front in the mouth as the pure stevia kinda has a darker more in the back of the mouth sweetness.. my gravity when done was at 1.012.. i dont like any of those other alcohol surgar sweeteners that have malto dextrin as the filler. they seem to coat my toung and get a little thick.. next batch is going to be a strawberry pee that i will use ony 100% stevia and mix to where i like it.. i dont think my gravity will be the same though.. sparkling is the best way IMO..
EDIT: forgot to mention that i dont go the route of stopping the fermentation and makes this is a diabetic friendly drink for some of my family
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #512
iparks81
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
mine is in the keg on tap and it is "phenomenal".. i dried mine out and backsweetened with a mix of xylitol and pure stevia.. the xylitol is not cheap and didnt want to use the full 2lbs as i had planned on so i used a little stevia to for the second lbs of the sweetener.. the xylitol seems to hit up front in the mouth as the pure stevia kinda has a darker more in the back of the mouth sweetness.. my gravity when done was at 1.012.. i dont like any of those other alcohol surgar sweeteners that have malto dextrin as the filler. they seem to coat my toung and get a little thick.. next batch is going to be a strawberry pee that i will use ony 100% stevia and mix to where i like it.. i dont think my gravity will be the same though.. sparkling is the best way IMO..
EDIT: forgot to mention that i dont go the route of stopping the fermentation and makes this is a diabetic friendly drink for some of my family
Ive got a strawberry pee in the secondary right now. I pureed 2 large flats of strawberries, added to the fermenter with 1 bottle lemon juice and the standard invert sugar amount. I used 3 sachets (15 g) of Lalvin 1116....so far its Great from the samples that I've pulled. So much Strawberry flavor and aroma! the only issue that I have so far is the Haziness. I used 2 tsp Pectic enzyme at the start and another 1 1/2 tsp after primary and its still very hazy (used isinglass as well) ...oh well I can deal with haze with a taste like that ...this will be a repeat for sure!

I love Alcohol, its in my Blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
go rinse your mind out with soap for even THINKING about tossing a batch of beer.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #513
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by iparks81 View Post
Ive got a strawberry pee in the secondary right now. I pureed 2 large flats of strawberries, added to the fermenter with 1 bottle lemon juice and the standard invert sugar amount. I used 3 sachets (15 g) of Lalvin 1116....so far its Great from the samples that I've pulled. So much Strawberry flavor and aroma! the only issue that I have so far is the Haziness. I used 2 tsp Pectic enzyme at the start and another 1 1/2 tsp after primary and its still very hazy (used isinglass as well) ...oh well I can deal with haze with a taste like that ...this will be a repeat for sure!
have you ever used hot sparkaloid? thats my goto for wine and would work great for a hazy pee that wont clear.. i try not to use clearing agents and let time do the work unless im trying to get something done fast
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #514
mikeal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone tried substituting some or all of the sugar in this recipe for honey? A light lemon melomel sounds pretty good.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #515
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 42

How long does the fermentation take? I started 6/14 and a couple weeks ago I was at 1.012ish.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #516
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

mikeal,
For the sake of us all............DO IT!
That sounds delicious.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #517
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Ok, down to 1.004 ish now. Still going.

I don't have "hobbies", I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

Little House On the Sand Pit on Wordpress
Two If By Sea Brewing (2XC) on Facebook
Facebook BIAB Group
Facebook Southcoast Homebrewers Association
SCHBAMA@gmail.com
Partigyles Gone Wild on Basic Brewing Radio <-Hey, that's me!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #518
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymem View Post
How long does the fermentation take? I started 6/14 and a couple weeks ago I was at 1.012ish.
If you start off with a very good slurry, it can go from beginning to completion in less than 4 weeks. If your batch is challenged (e.g. by yeast type, temperature, ingredients) it could take longer.

Glad to hear you're still making progress.

Cheers, Lon

www.skeeterpee.com

Visit Skeeter Pee on facebook and click the like button

Old 07-24-2011, 03:15 AM   #519
dover157
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just found this post, and as I have a 5 gal batch of traditonal mead ferminting now, I think I know what the lees will be used for.... think I will use honey instead of sugar as well. If hot lemon juice and honey (with a bit of whisky of course) is good in the winter, then I belive that cold lemon / honey wine should be great in the summer. Will post here as it goes.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #520
Accidic

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Went with small batch for mine. Used the minute maid lemon juice that comes preservative free. My only worry is I was out of energizer. Gave it a dose of nutrient in place of it. Anyone know of an in a pinch substitute for energizer? There are no lhbs in this area (only one or two in my state even since we can buy Chivas Regal, stamped buy the govt healthy for you...). I've killed a starter for nutrient and that seemed to work quite well. Ideas?

Edits: phone based typos.

Quick Reply