Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #281
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vxjester View Post
I pitched my yeast almost a month ago. I used d 47. Just to see how it will turn out.
Let us know how the D47 worked out - I was almost going to use that instead of premier cuvee. Wondering if there are any noticable differences.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #282
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Update - Yeast from packets and less steps:
My ferment started 2/13/11 and is just about dry, very slow ferment right now, should be done in a day or so.

I thought I would post back with the following information:

1. I only aerated at yeast pitching (which I did right away, and didn't wait 24 hours)
2. I did split the yeast nutrient and energizer additions, half up front and half about 24hours later.
3. I didn't touch the ferment again and it had a nice constant steady ferment throughout and no off smells from the ferment.

Details:

1. Double batch of skeeter pee in a demi john - planned on using 4x1118 yeast packs but had 5 on hand so figured eh, it won't hurt. So 5x1118 yeast packs @ 85 cents each.
2. started 2/13/11, should be done by end of week latest (3/4/11)
3. Used warm tap water to help dissolve the sugar, added 2/3 of lemon juice and 1/2 of nutrient and energizer up front (cooled pee to ~77F before pitching). I hydrated my yeast prior to pitching, but no starter.
3. Ferment temp ~68F-73F
4. About 24 hours and tossed in the rest of the lemon juice and the rest of the energizer and nutrient.

Conclusions:
There are a lot of extra steps in the original recipe (perhaps a few more that I did) that may or may not hurt the process (make you more prone to infect your wine, etc). I tend to think that extra aeration after the first 24-48 hours is not helpful, and possibly harmful. since this part of the fermentation is anaerobic anyhow. All you would be doing is oxidizing the must.

Next time:
I plan to pitch everything in at once next time and see what happens. I think as long as you prime it with enough yeast, you will be good to go.
did you simply dissolve the the sugar in water and add it to your fermenter without inverting? if so, did you notice any kind of cidery off flavors? being able to skip that step would make this a reci-pee I could do completely lit and that is quite a selling point.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #283
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwilcr View Post
did you simply dissolve the the sugar in water and add it to your fermenter without inverting? if so, did you notice any kind of cidery off flavors? being able to skip that step would make this a reci-pee I could do completely lit and that is quite a selling point.
I used warm water from the sink (~90 degrees) and stirred in the sugar - it went into solution very quickly.

I don't think there is any real advantage to inverting the sugar. Plain table sugar is highly fermentable, so I am not aware of any need to take the extra steps to invert it on the stove.

Just be sure to patiently stir all the sugar into solution, or you might be a few points higher in O.G. than your reading (really who cares), but for the sake of accuracy...

No wild, cidery, or off flavors in my batch. Though the first double batch was a little yeasty at first, then it went away (I think 5 packets of yeast was over pitching). The next batches I did with double pitching didn't have that yeasty result.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #284
mcwilcr
Recipes 

Quote:
I used warm water from the sink (~90 degrees) and stirred in the sugar - it went into solution very quickly.

I don't think there is any real advantage to inverting the sugar. Plain table sugar is highly fermentable, so I am not aware of any need to take the extra steps to invert it on the stove.

Just be sure to patiently stir all the sugar into solution, or you might be a few points higher in O.G. than your reading (really who cares), but for the sake of accuracy...

No wild, cidery, or off flavors in my batch. Though the first double batch was a little yeasty at first, then it went away (I think 5 packets of yeast was over pitching). The next batches I did with double pitching didn't have that yeasty result.
Cool, Thanks.

The way I understand it is that before the yeast can ferment it must invert the table sugar first and that this process can potentially produce off flavors, though I have never experienced them personally, and that is why the extra step of inverting was done before mixing the sugar into the solution. FWIW, I have started using a similar process any time a recipe calls for belgian candi sugar because the result is the same at a fraction of the cost and a little bit more time.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #285
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Cool, Thanks.

The way I understand it is that before the yeast can ferment it must invert the table sugar first and that this process can potentially produce off flavors, though I have never experienced them personally, and that is why the extra step of inverting was done before mixing the sugar into the solution. FWIW, I have started using a similar process any time a recipe calls for belgian candi sugar because the result is the same at a fraction of the cost and a little bit more time.
Gotcha - I should probably try it both ways, but I guess since I am happy with these results, my motivation is low. If someone else has tried both ways but prefers one over the other for taste reasons - please do let us know!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #286
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Cool, Thanks.

BTW - I am just getting interested in Belgian candi usage - you wouldn't by chance have any recipes that you really like the turn out of would you? I was thinking about getting some D2 Dark Candi.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #287
mcwilcr
Recipes 

Quote:
BTW - I am just getting interested in Belgian candi usage - you wouldn't by chance have any recipes that you really like the turn out of would you? I was thinking about getting some D2 Dark Candi.
well, I cant comment on any other recipe but I have tried one I found online at www.brewplus.com/forum/alt-beer-home-brewing/861-making-your-own-belgian.html with the exception that I did not make a large batch so I didnt bother cooling it. I just started the inversion process when I started heating my water and added it just before the boil. also, I know there is a section on making candi sugar in the Wiki that is essentially the same but I think a bit simpler.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #288
Vxjester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah

Let us know how the D47 worked out - I was almost going to use that instead of premier cuvee. Wondering if there are any noticable differences.
Well I stabilized it yesterday. I also racked it to another Carboy because it still had some lees in the bottom. Took a fg it's sitting at 0.998 which worked out to about 13% alcohol. My sg was 1.100 I added more sugar. Tasted it and it will make you pucker. But this was warm. So I figure I will need to back sweeten it just not sure if I should use splenda or good old fashion sugar. It does taste a lot like lemonade. So I think it will be great in the summer with ice after I back sweeten.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #289
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vxjester View Post
Well I stabilized it yesterday. I also racked it to another Carboy because it still had some lees in the bottom. Took a fg it's sitting at 0.998 which worked out to about 13% alcohol. My sg was 1.100 I added more sugar. Tasted it and it will make you pucker. But this was warm. So I figure I will need to back sweeten it just not sure if I should use splenda or good old fashion sugar. It does taste a lot like lemonade. So I think it will be great in the summer with ice after I back sweeten.
I believe I back sweetened to 1.014 with sugar and of course I used sulfites and sorbate in the usual method. I carbed mine and it was very good - I prefer mine more dry than sweet. Close to a mikes hard lemonade - but not as sweet.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #290
bengerman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

checked my gravity yesterday... jumped all the was down to 1.041. added the 2nd round of nutrient and energizer as well as the 3rd bottle of juice. when you backsweeter, is that just table sugar or are you supposed to invert that, too? also, i've read about using a mightyvac to degas, but the post i read said you might not want to do that on a 5 gallon carboy because the vaccuum could break the glass. has anyone actually experienced this? if so, wouldn't the risk or breaking be reduced by having the carboy closer to full? it seems that way in my head, but i don't know much about the physics of vaccuums. i'm fermenting in a 6 gallon betterbottle and i think i'm very close to 5 gallons exactly, so if i degas in a 5 gallon carboy, there won't be much headspace. sorry about the run-on paragraph, my phone won't let me do line breaks.

Quick Reply