Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 AM   #201
firepie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, i have a batch going now.... So excited to try it!

My question is if it can be made the same way using key lime juice??? Or even regular lime juice???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #202
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firepie View Post
Ok, i have a batch going now.... So excited to try it!

My question is if it can be made the same way using key lime juice??? Or even regular lime juice???
Several people have tried lime versions and I think the consensus was that it wasn't nearly as good. If you would like to try lime in the mix, I'd suggest 2/3 lemon and 1/3 lime; people have reported really liking this combination.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #203
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundForBeer View Post
No I did not de gas. This is my first "wine" and wasn't sure about that step. Is de gassing just as simple as stiring it? Thanks for the info guys.
Stirring will help, but it's hard to get all the "fizz" out with just stirring. I degas using vacuum pressure (I use a hand operated brake bleeder to generate vacuum). Another thing that seems to be effective is leaving an airlock on the carboy, putting it on a couple layers of thick towel and then on a slippery floor surface. Sliding the carboy back and forth will agitate the contents and this shaking and sloshing action will often release more CO2. Doing it at warmer temps also helps release the gas. When you cease to get activity in the airlock, you are fully degassed.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #204
BoundForBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captive View Post
Stirring will help, but it's hard to get all the "fizz" out with just stirring. I degas using vacuum pressure (I use a hand operated brake bleeder to generate vacuum). Another thing that seems to be effective is leaving an airlock on the carboy, putting it on a couple layers of thick towel and then on a slippery floor surface. Sliding the carboy back and forth will agitate the contents and this shaking and sloshing action will often release more CO2. Doing it at warmer temps also helps release the gas. When you cease to get activity in the airlock, you are fully degassed.
Thanks this makes alot more sense then stirring it (oxygenation). If I try this again will make sure to do this so I don't get 3 quarts of skeeter pee on my basement floor.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #205
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Somebody sense check me here but it seems that if you are degassing using a tool that attached to a drill, you aren't really disturbing the surface all that much, plus, CO2 is coming OUT of solution and should be keeping a pretty think blanket over the wine that stops the oxygen being absorbed?

Am I missing something?

Cheers

HW

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #206
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWino View Post
Somebody sense check me here but it seems that if you are degassing using a tool that attached to a drill, you aren't really disturbing the surface all that much, plus, CO2 is coming OUT of solution and should be keeping a pretty think blanket over the wine that stops the oxygen being absorbed?

Am I missing something?

Cheers

HW
I think you are correct in your statement. I suggest the "shake it on a slippery floor" for a couple of reasons.

1. I find that I get more gas out when I degas over time. It seems that a 30 minute rest between many agitations is more effective than a long continuous agitation. Even when I use the stirring method, several shorter stirs seems to work better than one long stir.

2. It's cleaner, I don't have to sanitize the stirrer and clean it when done.

3. Although I don't think oxygen exposure is very high with stirring, and Skeeter Pee isn't all that sensitive to it, keeping it under airlock is extra insurance.

4. I often degas using vacuum. Shaking works under vacuum, stirring doesn't unless you have one of those magnetic mixers.

Either system will work, it all depends on your equipment, set-up, and preference.

Cheers, Lon

www.skeeterpee.com

Visit Skeeter Pee on facebook and click the like button

Old 02-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #207
markephraim
Recipes 

Just pitched the yeast off a chardonnay into a batch of skeeter pee and things are going nicely. Fizzing like crazy within 12 hrs.

Can i use the yeast cake off this batch when i rack it to inoculate a second batch?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #208
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Made it, tried it, hated it. I don't know where I went wrong (maybe in my lemon concentrate?) but it tasted like I was drinking puree lemon peel. I still have some lemon concentrate left so I'll try it again.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #209
dos_perros
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm I have some Apfelwein that I just started, I think I am going to make this when that is done from the yeast cake. I think the wife is going to really like this one.

Bottled: AHS Belgian White Ale
OnDeck: Something with fruit for the wife....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I love having breakfast for dinner. It's one time I can have beer with my breakfast without feeling like a drunk.
"From man’s sweat and God’s love, beer came into the world."
–Saint Arnold of Metz, The patron Saint of Brewers

Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #210
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by markephraim View Post
Just pitched the yeast off a chardonnay into a batch of skeeter pee and things are going nicely. Fizzing like crazy within 12 hrs.

Can i use the yeast cake off this batch when i rack it to inoculate a second batch?
Common thought is not to, since the yeast were stressed in such an cidic environment. But I think you could probably get away with it. But is it worth risking when you could buy 2 packs of yeast? eh....

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply