Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #131
BeerWars
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Minute Maid Lemonade has NO PRESERVATIVES. Thought it might be good to use as a starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 PM   #132
Atek
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

ok, we have fermentation, albeit very slow... I think a lot of it has to do with the temp in my basement. My fermometer says its about 65F. I may end up moving this upstairs where it is warmer. It hit me on the way home that some of the off smell I caught may be due to the sugar I used, which was all natural evaporated cane juice, not processed table sugar. I still followed the recipe and inverted the sugar which should also have sterilized it but I do remember that sugar didn't smell the best. Tasted good though so hopefully the brew will be fine.

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 AM   #133
j-rad
Recipes 

Should I be whipping my must every day even if there is strong fermentation? Or only if it slows down?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #134
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Yeah this is one of the ones that they say ferment up around 70. If you have slow fermentation starting @ 65 moving it to 70 you will be good to go.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #135
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I whipped for the first couple days and stopped when it was bubbling good.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #136
Atek
Recipes 

Alright, its still in the basement but it appears to be fermenting away nicely. I did notice the yeast head on this was a lot bigger than I am used to (primarily make mead), I used a yeast slurry from a blueberry mead so I had a 1/2" thick floating brown yeast cake this morning. Any ideas on this being normal? I just left it and stirred it back in while degassing and feeding this morning... I assume I'm not supposed to worry about it as it should fall out once fermentation is complete?

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #137
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rad View Post
Should I be whipping my must every day even if there is strong fermentation? Or only if it slows down?
Yes and no, or depends. If it is fermenting good, you won't need to whip it to keep the ferment going. The old hard lemonade recipes often needed lots of babysitting, but with Skeeter Pee, the beauty is that when the gods are smiling, it needs much less attention.

The one time that I would recommend whipping is if you detect any hydrogen sulfide aromas. If you detect anything that smells like rotten egg or home perm solution, then begin whipping oxygen into the must. Lemon is very high in acid and depending on the yeast used, it can create this classic smell. It doesn't typically ruin the taste, but if your finished product carries the smell, it really damages the ability to enjoy the finished product. Keeping the temp in the mid 70's or below will also help keep the H2S problem at bay.

Lon
skeeterpee.com

Last edited by Captive; 12-22-2010 at 04:25 PM.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:21 PM   #138
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
Alright, its still in the basement but it appears to be fermenting away nicely. I did notice the yeast head on this was a lot bigger than I am used to (primarily make mead), I used a yeast slurry from a blueberry mead so I had a 1/2" thick floating brown yeast cake this morning. Any ideas on this being normal? I just left it and stirred it back in while degassing and feeding this morning... I assume I'm not supposed to worry about it as it should fall out once fermentation is complete?
A large foam head on the primary fermenter is one of the classic characteristics of this baby. Sometimes it takes on the appearance of the top of a lemon meringue pie.
Here are a couple of examples:

Lon
skeeterpee.com
Old 12-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #139
Atek
Recipes 

Nice! Thanks Captive!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #140
j-rad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captive View Post
A large foam head on the primary fermenter is one of the classic characteristics of this baby. Sometimes it takes on the appearance of the top of a lemon meringue pie.
Here are a couple of examples:

Lon
skeeterpee.com
Mine looks nothing like this - only when I whip it does it have that much foam.. it is bubbling pretty strong, and went from 1.067 --> 1.059 from this past Sunday to today. I didn't use a yeast slurry, just pitched a starter of some EC-1118.

Also, it is very fizzy.. is this normal?

Quick Reply