Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #1371
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughster View Post
Quick question for Arpolis starter recipe: Did you add any water to that starter or just the contents of the cans?
Water to 1 gallon. Should be ~ 1.067 OG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumprock View Post
Ok, glad I am reading similar results. Not a wine maker, so I put together a quick 1 gallon welch's starter with EC-118. Once that was running and about 36 hours after making the pee and oxygenating, I whipped the bejesus out of it and pitched the whole gallon.

I had some idea in my head from all this reading that it would be a slow ferment. I put it in a ferm chamber at 72 and left it for Three Days.

I went to check the gravity on Wednesday evening and it took the 1.076 OG down to .096 so I just threw the extra lemon juice in there and gave it a stir. I didnt notice any overly-strong sulfur notes, so I guess it worked..?
I have not pitched the whole gallon, but there's no reason why that would not work. The last time I did this I used Montrachet after Apfelwein and it was done, .998, in 6 days. I'm looking for that same sort of performance but without the sulfur.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #1372
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
Water to 1 gallon. Should be ~ 1.067 OG.

I have not pitched the whole gallon, but there's no reason why that would not work. The last time I did this I used Montrachet after Apfelwein and it was done, .998, in 6 days. I'm looking for that same sort of performance but without the sulfur.
Well, I wanted to pitch during active fermentation and figured the added flavors (and color) of the welch's/raspberry starter would make it more interesting.

I just wasn't prepared for such an active ferment, and assume since it was such a highly active commune when I dumped it in the SP they chewed through it like the little sprinters they were in spite of the acidity/preservatives.

I also whipped the hell out of it with a balloon whisk.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #1373
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughster View Post
Quick question for Arpolis starter recipe: Did you add any water to that starter or just the contents of the cans?
Thanks Lbussy for the back up but yes water to one gallon. Sorry forgot to add that in there.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM   #1374
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Tried my first attempt at this last weekend. Got the invert sugar up to near boiling and then cranked the temperature down to the lowest setting. Then I went on to make the rest of the solution. I checked the invert a few times during the 30 mins, but when I came in at the very end, it was boiling (I live at about 7000 feet). I don't think that is the source of the problem I am having since I do live at high altitude - "boiling" for me is "near" boiling for many others in terms of temperature.

Anyway, I made this using a starter and EC118, just like a video I saw on youtube. The starter took off fine and was showing great signs of fermentation. I pitched it into the must (I think that is what you guys call it - I brew beer, never have done wine) and stirred the bejeebus out of it with a wine degasser attached to a drill (making sure to frequently put the degasser near the top to help with aeration). I had absolutely no activity after 2.5 days. I pulled a sample and verified the gravity was still at 1.072. So, I hit it with the stir-stick again last night to see if I could get some activity. Still didn't see much this morning. I ordered two packets of the Lalvin, so I guess if I don't see any activity within the next few days, I will try making another starter with the other packet and maybe ramp up the addition of the must to the starter. I just did one addition of must to the starter on the first try.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #1375
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1573 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 2506

Day 3 and nothing. I didnt read directions properly and wound up adding all the lemon at once, with all the inverted sugar.

Is this salvagable? Maybe more nutriend/energizer?

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #1376
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Smartass. I read and followed directions to the t (save the wine yeast slurry, because, as I said - I don't make wine. I make beer. And the issue with the boiling - which isn't an issue, IMO).

Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #1377
Acyr90
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Do you guys drape a towel over your fermenter for the first few days or just set your bucket lid on loosely? (assuming using a bucket). If you use the towel, how do you go about making sure it's sanitary? I'd rather set the lid on it loosely, is this a commonly accepted practice? Disadvantages?

Old 05-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #1378
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Day 3 and nothing. I didnt read directions properly and wound up adding all the lemon at once, with all the inverted sugar.

Have you taken a reading yet? Try adding another starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin
Smartass. I read and followed directions to the t (save the wine yeast slurry, because, as I said - I don't make wine. I make beer. And the issue with the boiling - which isn't an issue, IMO).
? Don't think he was talking about you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acyr90
Do you guys drape a towel over your fermenter for the first few days or just set your bucket lid on loosely? (assuming using a bucket). If you use the towel, how do you go about making sure it's sanitary? I'd rather set the lid on it loosely, is this a commonly accepted practice? Disadvantages?
I just set the bucket lid loosely on top,

Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #1379
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudge View Post

? Don't think he was talking about you,

My apologies if that was the case. Just thought he was being sarcastic....

Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #1380
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post

Aeration aeration aeration. Just add as much O2 as you can over the next couple days. Whip it up like 2-3 times a day. Also add in another dose of nutrient. It may be slow but it should start up.

If everyone would just make a simple wine and use the lees off of it then we would not have slow starters or stuck ferments. Some get 1118 to work but others don't. Well started lees always works.

P.S.
Creamy not sure of your yeast selection. If you did use lees then I am further confused but the last paragraph was more for the plethora of people that come to the thread with slow starting SP and fermentation problems. Just give this must extra extra TLC and it should come around.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Quick Reply