Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #1301
SilverZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon593 View Post
Could you use honey or corn sugar to bypass having to convert the table sugar?
It really doesn't take much effort to invert the sugar, and it's cheaper. Why brew at all if you're not going to have fun with the process?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #1302
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It also makes it real easy to get everything dissolved correctly

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #1303
SilverZero
Recipes 

So how do we feel about bottling this SP in plastic containers? I've got a few 1-gallon apple juice jugs from my last batch of Brandon O's Graff, some 1-gallon bottled water jugs that I've had frozen in the freezer, and some 48oz lemon juice bottles from . . . I forget where. Will this stuff behave in plastic?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #1304
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZero View Post
So how do we feel about bottling this SP in plastic containers? I've got a few 1-gallon apple juice jugs from my last batch of Brandon O's Graff, some 1-gallon bottled water jugs that I've had frozen in the freezer, and some 48oz lemon juice bottles from . . . I forget where. Will this stuff behave in plastic?
None of those sound like bottles in which you will be carbonating .... with that understanding I don't think there's a thing wrong with using whatever you have. I believe it is better carbonated, but if you want it still that should work. Chances of it being around long enough to be an issue are slim.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 AM   #1305
DrHops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used plastic water bottles (non-carbonated) water, 2 liter soda bottles as well as 20 oz soda bottles. It looks great in a Sprite bottle! I do however force carb so I'm putting a lot more pressure on them then normal carbonation would and all of these bottles have worked great. I actually left a partial Sprite bottle at a friends house last weekend, her husband didn't know that it wasn't Sprite and poured a big glass of it, he was extremely surprised when he started drinking it. Skeeter Pee and vodka don't mix very well apparently. However, Skeeter Pee and a lemon wheat beer mixed makes an awesome Shandy.

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #1306
SilverZero
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
None of those sound like bottles in which you will be carbonating .... with that understanding I don't think there's a thing wrong with using whatever you have. I believe it is better carbonated, but if you want it still that should work. Chances of it being around long enough to be an issue are slim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHops View Post
I've used plastic water bottles (non-carbonated) water, 2 liter soda bottles as well as 20 oz soda bottles. It looks great in a Sprite bottle! I do however force carb so I'm putting a lot more pressure on them then normal carbonation would and all of these bottles have worked great. I actually left a partial Sprite bottle at a friends house last weekend, her husband didn't know that it wasn't Sprite and poured a big glass of it, he was extremely surprised when he started drinking it. Skeeter Pee and vodka don't mix very well apparently. However, Skeeter Pee and a lemon wheat beer mixed makes an awesome Shandy.
Yeah, for the first batch, I won't be carbonating. I can always cut it with some soda water if I really want the fizz.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #1307
flyinpig
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Have my first batch in! I thought I had everything, but found I didn't have any nutrient, so I added a 1/2 tsp extra energizer. 1 packet of EC1118 and away it went. Do u guys see any problem with leaving in primary until moving to carboy or moving to another primary bucket before racking to a carboy to final clear?

Working: BACON!Smoked Red Ale
Clearing: Applefein & Blackberry Skeeter Pee
Drinking: Muntons Candian Pilsner & Blackberry Wine

Old 04-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #1308
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

To keep odors down (sulfur) you may want to head to LHBS and pick up some cheap nutrient. Also, I rack mine to secondary a week or so after it's done fermenting.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #1309
SilverZero
Recipes 

I feel like this batch is taking forever to finish. I'm finally down to just a hair over 1.000 after 3 weeks and a couple of days, kept at 75F all along. I guess that's not too long, I'm just not used to waiting so long. I brewed a pale ale 2 weeks ago that might be in the bottles before this stuff gets stabilized.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #1310
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ha Ha, Sorry but I take the mead makers approach to SP rather than the Beer brewers aproach. My primary goes 2 - 3 months and secondary another 3. Then I think about bottling but get lazy and end up bottling a couple months later. So if this goes 30 days and you hit it with finnings and bottle in another couple of weeks you are going fast.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

SilverZero Likes This 

Quick Reply