Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #1271
Clifton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeFarms

when you keg this stuff, are you stabilizing and backsweetening alittle prior to, and then force carbing? i'd like to hear your process. i've got two 5 gallon batches aging and two new corny kegs
I haven't kegged it. I've just used co2 to scrub the sulphur out. If I did, I would stabilize and backsweeten then force carb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #1272
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeFarms View Post
when you keg this stuff, are you stabilizing and backsweetening alittle prior to, and then force carbing? i'd like to hear your process. i've got two 5 gallon batches aging and two new corny kegs
I stabilized and back-sweetened as it was going into the keg.

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #1273
SilverZero
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Well, I just started my first batch of SP, and I already screwed up! I topped up to 7.5 gallons (I'm doing a 1.5x batch) but I forgot to add the lemon juice. I put it all in the bucket, which brought the total up over 8 gallons, and now I'm wondering what to do while I wait for the must to "rest" before I get the yeast starter going. I'm at 1.066 now, I kinda want to bump it up to 1.070 or greater while I've already got 10.5 pounds of sugar in the batch

I only have about 1.5 inches of head space in the bucket as it sits now. Should I drain it back down to 7.5 gallons and just call the extra a loss? Save the extra and dump it in the next batch? Drink it now? I suppose since I still have 48oz of lemon juice to go in, plus the yeast starter, I should pull the volume down a bit, right? I don't know what the foaming is like on this (is it proper to call it a kraeusen?), does it get pretty tall?

What would you do?

EDIT: I went ahead and drained 96oz of the must back into my original RealLemon bottles and labeled them as "must" for a future and/or mini batch. I'm back down to 7.5 gallons, missing a tiny bit of nutrient and energizer (whatever was diluted into the whole batch, so I'm basically down a bit over 9% - not worried about that) but otherwise ready to go. I bumped the entire batch up to 1.070 before I parted it out, too.

Also, 500th post!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 AM   #1274
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Congratulations on the post!

Throw a cup of sugar in there at the next feeding, or not, either way I think it will be fine. If you weigh your sugar it ends up being over the stated amount anyway. 1.066 and 1.070 are kissing cousins. It all depends on what you can live with. I think it should be fine.

You are 6% off on volume and 6% on gravity. Let it roll and go on to the next challenge.

Lee Bussy

SilverZero Likes This 
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #1275
Mark_
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm just getting ready to sweeten my SP, first batch ever, and it has a pretty strong H2S smell. I'm going to toss in about .1-.2ppm of copper sulfate solution and then rack it unless anyone has a better solution?

Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #1276
pumpkinman2012
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 276

I made a few batches using a berry blend, it was good, I changed up the recipe and made a berry blend Melomel, amazing stuff! At two months old, it took a bronze medal at the Missouri Valley competition!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #1277
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
I'm just getting ready to sweeten my SP, first batch ever, and it has a pretty strong H2S smell. I'm going to toss in about .1-.2ppm of copper sulfate solution and then rack it unless anyone has a better solution?
I have not but i am thinking of giving this a try. I found this article:

http://morebeer.com/public/wine/Prod...ions/CuSO4.pdf

Lee Bussy

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1278
ChrisL_
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am interested in doing a bach of this for the summer. I have been reading the thread and sub'd to it. I have a question I hope someone one here with more experience can answer. I see that many report fermenting out at something less then zero.
How can you possibly get a below zero graviy? If pure, distilled water at 1.00 has no sugar, how can you get less then no sugar to read below zero?
I am a confussed noob (have done 1 bach of beer and no wine before) and could not find an anwer on Google.

Thannks,

Chris

Old 03-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #1279
adriedel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just kegged mine and it keeps coming out of the post when i carb it has this happened to anyone else?
And what can i do to solve it.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #1280
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL_ View Post
I am interested in doing a bach of this for the summer. I have been reading the thread and sub'd to it. I have a question I hope someone one here with more experience can answer. I see that many report fermenting out at something less then zero.
How can you possibly get a below zero graviy? If pure, distilled water at 1.00 has no sugar, how can you get less then no sugar to read below zero?
I am a confussed noob (have done 1 bach of beer and no wine before) and could not find an anwer on Google.

Thannks,

Chris
Alcohol has a lower SG than water. So the sugars are replaced with alcohol getting the fg below 0

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS