Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #1201
Whsoj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I'm going to be starting this Skeeter Pee very soon and I have a question. My Ed Wort Apfelwein will not be ready for two more months. I thought about making a lemon free starter with part of the sugar the recipe calls for; get that bubbling and use that, but what would be the best yeast Montrachet or EC 1118

Wooly Buggers and Beer
Dirt Road Beer & Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #1202
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I know lots will jump in and say ec-1118 and that is because it is a beast that ferments anything with ease. I would actually suggest K1v-1116 as a tough fermenting yeast because it ferments a bit slower, preserving aroma and if fermenting on the cooler side it imparts some flora notes.

I just started a mead version of SP and what I did for a yeast slurry was take a 1 gallon glass pickle jar and dumped in 4 11.5oz Welch's juice concentrate, a tbs of tea, pectic enzyme, Nutrient and energizer & Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast. Two weeks later I threw it in the fridge and less than one week later it was crystal clear with a 1/2 in. of yeast sediment. I racked off the slurry and dumped that into my SP must. My SP is rolling on great now. So if you are ok to wait the you can make a $12.00 1 gal wine and have all the yeast needed to pitch into your SP in under 3 weeks.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #1203
Oak_Brook_Brewing_Company
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whsoj
I'm going to be starting this Skeeter Pee very soon and I have a question. My Ed Wort Apfelwein will not be ready for two more months. I thought about making a lemon free starter with part of the sugar the recipe calls for; get that bubbling and use that, but what would be the best yeast Montrachet or EC 1118
I used Montrachet and did the starter with some of the sugar. No problems at all.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #1204
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak_Brook_Brewing_Company

I used Montrachet and did the starter with some of the sugar. No problems at all.
How did the final product turn out? I like Montrachet yeast for meads and such, but it ferments slightly sweet, so I was wondering about using it for the skeeter pee. Did you like how it turned out, and did you backsweeten it?

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 03-06-2013, 11:28 PM   #1205
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewbeliever

How did the final product turn out? I like Montrachet yeast for meads and such, but it ferments slightly sweet, so I was wondering about using it for the skeeter pee. Did you like how it turned out, and did you backsweeten it?
Well I have to admit it isn't quite done yet... I just started it about a week ago, but it is moving along quite well. Overall it's chewing up sugar and making alcohol. Last night's gravity was 1.033 down quite a bit from 1.072. I do have to say that there is a sweet Concord grape smell to my skeeter pee but I believe that is due to the tannin I used.
I will be transferring to a secondary in the next week or so. I am a firm believer that if there is still yeast action going on then it needs more time. I have it sitting at about 72 degrees on average.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #1206
PDWhite
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default SP yeast not starting?

I am on day three with SP no yeast action. I have used two packets of Red Star Pastuer Champaign. Started the first in quart jar with water and it was working along fine when I added to SP. 48 hours later nothing. I started another packet and added it last night. Still nothing. Our house averages around 65 degrees.. it worked in the jar why not the fermenter?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #1207
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did you invert the sugar and follow all other directions? It might start up in a day or two.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #1208
Arpolis
Recipes 

PDWhite it may start in the next 24 - 48 hours from now but if not since you have already put the must together and it is a bit late to make a full yeast cake then I would do a different kind of starter. In a one gallon container add in 1/4 gallon of white grape juice and mix in 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient. Pitch a new pack of yeast and wait for bubling to start. Then add in 1 cup of your SP must. Wait 2 or more hours and make sure bubling does not stop. If it does not stop within the 2 hours then pitch another cup of must. If it does come to a stop then shake up the starter to degass and aerate and wait till it bubbles up again. Repeat this process over the next 10+ hours and when you have a full gallon of bubbling must then pitch that.

This should gradually acclimate the yeast to the SP must and give them a fighting chance. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #1209
PDWhite
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

I checked and the lemon juice has sodium bisulfate.. Is the yeast dead or is that just the reason for slow.

So I need to get some white grape juice and build a better batch? Or do I just have a big bucket of lemonade ready for the summer?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #1210
Arpolis
Recipes 

Sodium bisulfate will not kill commercial yeast. Heck I use the generic Walmart brand real lemon juice rather than the "real lemon" brand and that stuff has sodium benzoate in it which is twice as hard on yeast than sodium bisulfate. And with a good yeast cake I get a nice healthy fermentation. So build that starter like I outlined and your red star yeast should power through this.

PDWhite Likes This 

Quick Reply