Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #1181
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LBussy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 595
Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Morning ladies and gents!

My apfelwine is to be racked today so the SP is going on the yeast cake. I have and have been using Fermaid-K instead of nutrient/energizer for my meads. I do not have regular nutrient and energizer. Is this a "damnit I need to go to the LHBS (which is not close) again" issue?

__________________

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

LBussy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #1182
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
Morning ladies and gents!

My apfelwine is to be racked today so the SP is going on the yeast cake. I have and have been using Fermaid-K instead of nutrient/energizer for my meads. I do not have regular nutrient and energizer. Is this a "damnit I need to go to the LHBS (which is not close) again" issue?
I really don't know but I thought ferment K was just a blend of nutrient and energizer? Heck I'd just use it...
__________________

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #1183
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LBussy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 595
Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

I think it's more a nutrient than energizer ... not sure. Manufacturer says:

Quote:
FERMAID K®
The original and reliable FERMAID® K is a blended complex yeast nutrient that supplies inorganic nitrogen (DAP), organic nitrogen (alpha amino nitrogen derived from yeast extract), key nutrients (magnesium sulfate, thiamine, folic acid, niacin, biotin and calcium pantothenate) and inactivated yeast.
__________________

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

LBussy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #1184
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,996
Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default

I think you Fermaid K will be fine. The original recipe has 4 tsp at mixing/yeast pitch and 4 tsp at the 1.050 gravity mark. (3 part nutrient & 1 part energizer). I would just add in the 4 tsp at the beginning and again at the 1.05 and should be fine. Worst case scenario your ferment looks sluggish well into when it should be rolling and you add in another TSP and aerate; however, I think it will work out.

__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #1185
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LBussy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 595
Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Thanks Arpolis. Seems like a lot but I guess that's because there's no nutrients at all in this?

__________________

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

LBussy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #1186
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
I think it's more a nutrient than energizer ... not sure. Manufacturer says:
That sounds like a blend, when I think nutrient I think diammonium phosphate and ammonium sulfate. Energizer is a blend of yeast hulls, magnesium sulfate and vitamin b.

The former is significantly cheaper than the latter. I've never bought the blended versions as it is cheaper to get them separately, I think it was under 10 bucks for a kilo of nutrient.
__________________

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #1187
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
Thanks Arpolis. Seems like a lot but I guess that's because there's no nutrients at all in this?
It's not that there is no nutrient..it's that lemon juice is so difficult to ferment that we are trying to do everything in our power to keep the yeast happy and healthy and prevent the production of sulfur dioxide, stalled fermentation etc.

Hence aeration, yeast starter or cake, lots of nutrient, staggered lemon and nutrient feeding, invert sugar.
__________________

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #1188
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LBussy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 595
Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Got it, thanks gents.

I went to the LHBS anyway today since a new carboy would make shifting things around easier. No carboys but I got the energizer and nutrient so I'm golden there.

So I have a batch on the yeast I intend to use now, and it's in the fermenter I was going to use ... I missed the part about it sitting 24-48 hours with a towel over the top to gas off sulfites. I *think* I'll rack the wine to a secondary, put the yeast cake in a bottle, and store it that way. Question is, do I store it in the fridge or at room temp under an airlock?

This is a Montrachet cake - the other option is to use two fresh packets of Premier Cuvee. Using the Montrachet seems better I thinks.

__________________

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

LBussy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #1189
Inner10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 512
Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBussy View Post
Got it, thanks gents.

I went to the LHBS anyway today since a new carboy would make shifting things around easier. No carboys but I got the energizer and nutrient so I'm golden there.

So I have a batch on the yeast I intend to use now, and it's in the fermenter I was going to use ... I missed the part about it sitting 24-48 hours with a towel over the top to gas off sulfites. I *think* I'll rack the wine to a secondary, put the yeast cake in a bottle, and store it that way. Question is, do I store it in the fridge or at room temp under an airlock?

This is a Montrachet cake - the other option is to use two fresh packets of Premier Cuvee. Using the Montrachet seems better I thinks.
I'd probably go fridge...but I made one batch where I just left the yeast cake in a gallon jug at room temp and it was fine. The other batch I skipped the letting the must sit to reduce preservatives and just dumped the goods on top of a yeast cake...both worked fine.
__________________

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Inner10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #1190
LBussy
OCD Procrastinator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
LBussy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 595
Liked 109 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Sounds like my kind of recipe ... forgiving!

Your avatar just caught my eye, is that from Archer? Love that show!

__________________

Lee Bussy
Bad decisions make good stories.

LBussy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools