Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #1141
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 244
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Beer yeast might not be able to get you to the ABV you are looking for in your Skeeter. I'm not sure where that particular yeast tops off, but I guess it'd be around ~10% tops? That is just an educated guess so I could easily be wrong. I know there are plenty of higher alc. beer yeast strains, trappist, etc. that can get high.

I just started a batch of blueberry skeet yesterday, made a starter with ec-118 on a stirplate gradually adding must when it started to take off, got 5 gallons rocking hard right now. Cheers.

__________________
cosmatics is offline
PDWhite Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #1142
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 1,143
Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDWhite View Post
Question on yeast / slurry. What is different in beer yeast to wine yeast? Wondering if I could use the dregs from an American Pale Ale to start the slurry.

Any thoughts?
Yeah, I think the alcohol tolerance is the biggest issue. If you add less sugar and make a weaker pee, u should be OK.
__________________
D_Nyholm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #1143
DrHops
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrHops's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 299
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I don't make wine, except for Skeeter Pee so I always use a fresh pack of EC-1118 yeast. My LHBS sells it for just under $1 a package, once I bought a brew belt and started using it for every batch, I've never needed more than one packet. I could harvest the yeast from one batch to the next and store it, but for $1 a packet, it's really not worth my time. I've never had a stuck batch, and it always takes me 4 weeks from start to finish for crystal clear Skeeter Pee.

__________________

On Deck:

1. Dragonfly Wiz (hard lemonade)
2. Dragonfly Blood (strawberry hard lemonade)
3. Alpine Spring clone
4. IIPA
5. Belma S.M.A.S.H.

DrHops is offline
PDWhite Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #1144
dconway10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Hello. Im a newbie at wine making and i started a batch of sp last night. I did everything following the directions but forgot to get yeast energizer. What is the purpose of yeast energizer and will i be able to get by without it or should i wait until it comes in the mail in a couple days then add it to the mix and then add my yeast?

__________________
dconway10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #1145
A50SNAKE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Delhi, ON
Posts: 160
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
I just started a batch of blueberry skeet yesterday, made a starter with ec-118 on a stirplate gradually adding must when it started to take off, got 5 gallons rocking hard right now. Cheers.
can I ask how you made your BB SP? thanks...
__________________
A50SNAKE is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #1146
naga77777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oxford, NC
Posts: 440
Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHops View Post
I don't make wine, except for Skeeter Pee so I always use a fresh pack of EC-1118 yeast. My LHBS sells it for just under $1 a package, once I bought a brew belt and started using it for every batch, I've never needed more than one packet. I could harvest the yeast from one batch to the next and store it, but for $1 a packet, it's really not worth my time. I've never had a stuck batch, and it always takes me 4 weeks from start to finish for crystal clear Skeeter Pee.
I have a couple extra packets of 1118, do you just sprinkle it onto the must?

Would make it much easier to get a batch going, when I don't have other wines ready for bottling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconway10 View Post
Hello. Im a newbie at wine making and i started a batch of sp last night. I did everything following the directions but forgot to get yeast energizer. What is the purpose of yeast energizer and will i be able to get by without it or should i wait until it comes in the mail in a couple days then add it to the mix and then add my yeast?

I'm by FAR not an expert, or even an authority, but I'd say go ahead and pitch now.

My only reasoning is reading threads on here that give the general impression that the longer a batch sits without yeast, the longer nasties/infection have to take hold. You want the yeast to colonize faster than anything else and outnumber the nasties.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and pitch, and just add the energizer when it comes in.

Maybe do a search for "skeeter pee forgot energizer"-- I'm willing to bet at least one person has made a batch without energizer alltogether.
__________________
Brewing Since July 2012 All-grain BIAB
Primary 1: Raging Irish Red
Primary 2: Lilsparky's Nut Brown Ale
Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )
naga77777 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #1147
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,944
Liked 175 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconway10 View Post
Hello. Im a newbie at wine making and i started a batch of sp last night. I did everything following the directions but forgot to get yeast energizer. What is the purpose of yeast energizer and will i be able to get by without it or should i wait until it comes in the mail in a couple days then add it to the mix and then add my yeast?
The energizer is very important in this must especially if not using a yeast slurry. The acidic must should be able to keep most infections away for 48-72 hours as long as you used normal sanitation practices when mixing up the must. Worst case scenario then have this 48 hours then add a dose of K-meta or Camden to kill off anything and then wait till the energizer gets there.

I might think that if you pitch without energizer you risk a yeast colony that is weaker and the ferment might stall.
__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #1148
dconway10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 14
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga77777 View Post


I'm by FAR not an expert, or even an authority, but I'd say go ahead and pitch now.

My only reasoning is reading threads on here that give the general impression that the longer a batch sits without yeast, the longer nasties/infection have to take hold. You want the yeast to colonize faster than anything else and outnumber the nasties.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and pitch, and just add the energizer when it comes in.

Maybe do a search for "skeeter pee forgot energizer"-- I'm willing to bet at least one person has made a batch without energizer alltogether.
Thanks i forgot google answers almost everything. I found something that said i can add the energizer when i pitch my yeast and per directions for the sp it says to let sit for 24-48 hours to let the preservatives out and my energizer should arrive tomorrow afternoon which would be 48hours of letting the must sit. Thanks for the help!
__________________
dconway10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #1149
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 244
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default

Here was my most recent batch of blueberry skeeter for the record:

1 gallon blueberry juice (technically mix of blueberry, grape and apple, Costco)- no perservatives
64 oz. Real Lemon juice from concentrate- no perservatives
4lbs brown sugar
3lbs sugar
2 gallons water

I heated in pot on stove for about 30 mins at around 190degrees to dissolve sugars and sterilize water.

Yeast starter:

1 packet ec-118 yeast, rehydrated in 2oz boiled cooled water about 100 degrees.
1 cup of cooled must mixture from stove
1 cup water to approx. gravity of about 1.040
1/2 tsp yeast energizer

Put starter on stir plate, let go overnight, about 12 hours later I add some bubbling from starter, I added 1/2c of must, let go another 4 hours, added 1/2c must. Let finish about 4 more hours, was really fizzing like crazy.

I sanitized a bucket, added room temp must, about 1 gal boiled cooled water, yeast starter, to a shade under 5 gallons. I whipped it with a whisk for a few minutes. I covered with a clean sanitized towel.

Next morning it was fizzing away, 2 days later I have a nice foam top. I have whipped it every morning for 1st 3 days. Will take a grav reading after a week.

I'm really liking this open top fermenting for the wine, its easy to degas, no volcanos and it really looks like its working well. Forgot to add my SG for this batch was about 1.088, I'm shooting for around 12%.

__________________

Last edited by cosmatics; 02-21-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to add SG.
cosmatics is offline
A50SNAKE Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #1150
naga77777
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oxford, NC
Posts: 440
Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconway10 View Post
Thanks i forgot google answers almost everything. I found something that said i can add the energizer when i pitch my yeast and per directions for the sp it says to let sit for 24-48 hours to let the preservatives out and my energizer should arrive tomorrow afternoon which would be 48hours of letting the must sit. Thanks for the help!

Cool

I misread your post, and was under the impression it had already sat out for a day or 2 to purge the preservatives.
__________________
Brewing Since July 2012 All-grain BIAB
Primary 1: Raging Irish Red
Primary 2: Lilsparky's Nut Brown Ale
Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )
naga77777 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools