New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #1101
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by A50SNAKE View Post
hello there...just wondering if you point me to more info on what I would need to look for exactly to do this? thanks a bunch.
here's an ongoing thread with some off the self, as well as DIY solutions.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/better-diy-carbonator-cap-293500/

Old 02-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #1102
A50SNAKE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred View Post
here's an ongoing thread with some off the self, as well as DIY solutions.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/better-diy-carbonator-cap-293500/
thanks soo much for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #1103
PDXHollyD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Can you provide a bit more detail, like:

What was your process when it came time to prime? Did you add k-meta, sorbate? Dextrose to what volume of SP?
When did you prime and bottle? How have bottles been stored since?
Nope, I knew I was using Splenda to sweeten and planned to carbonate, so I didn't use k-meta or sorbate. 3/4 cup of dextrose to 5 gallons of SP.

Last time I went into detail, the whole thread went silent for weeks!
(Posts 1025 and 1027 in this thread) Here's the gist of it:
----
[Did you stabilize the must before back sweeting?]
This is a solid theory, but I didn't use any of those since I knew I wasn't going to be sweetening with sugar. I didn't use the sparkolloid or anything either, for what that's worth. I just waited until it cleared on its own, sweetened with Splenda, added a packet of lemonade Koolaid (unsweetened) and then did the normal bottling procedure with dextrose simple syrup mixed in the bottling bucket.

[How long did it take for it to clear on its own? Also what kind of yeast did you use]
Let's see. I started it on 9-3, added the slurry from a batch of Apfelwein (originally a pack of Montrachet yeast) on 9-5, had good activity by the next day. Gravity was 1.050 on 9-9 so I added the third lemon juice, energizer, and nutrients. Racked it to a new carboy on 9-13. Let that sit and clear until 10-30, which is when I bottled.

If the yeast are dead, can/should I pitch more to try to eat up the dextrose and carbonate it? At this point if I poured it all back into a bucket it'd be a five-gallon batch minus three or four 12-ounce bottles. I'm not sure if this would work, or how much yeast to use for such a job.
----

Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #1104
timcadieux
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Hi folks, just wanted to know what you thought about me pitching this on a Apfelwein yeast cake made with T-58 and a second made with Nottingham?

Check out my Home Brewing Blog at downstairsbrewer.com and my Travel Discussion Board at chattytourist.com

Fermenting - Raging Red Irish Ale, Honey Orange Hefeweizen, Yooper's Banana Wine

Kegged - Jamil's Stout, All Amarillo Pale Ale

Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #1105
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Not enough experience to say. Try a small batch with part of the yeast cake and report back. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and you have to buy a packet of EC1118 to finish it up.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #1106
timcadieux
Recipes 

Actually, I just thought of something, a few weekss back I made some 'coolers' by merely mixing EC-1118 and sugar, then tossing in Minute Maid cans after fermentation. Could I use this yeast cake instead, I do this regularly in my growlers so its the perfect size for a test.

Check out my Home Brewing Blog at downstairsbrewer.com and my Travel Discussion Board at chattytourist.com

Fermenting - Raging Red Irish Ale, Honey Orange Hefeweizen, Yooper's Banana Wine

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #1107
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 31

1118 yeast seems to do pretty well in a SP must with simply rehydrating it so if you have an 1118 yeast cake off of some sugar water I do not see why it would not work. Personally I am not a fan of ec-1118 and would rather use another yeast that is not such an aggressive fermenter that blows flavor and aromatics out the airlock. If you make those wine coolers often I would mix one up but use K1-V1116, 71b-1112 or another non 1118 yeast and use that yeast cake.

I actually just started a 1 gallon starter wine simply based off of some Welch’s concentrate X4, nutrient, black tea and pectic enzyme, 71b yeast and once I get a nice yeast cake in the next 3 - 4 weeks I will rack off it and dump the cake into a SP must. So making a yeast cake for this is not hard using whatever yeast you want and 12 dollars in ingredients.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #1108
timcadieux
Recipes 

I used the EC-1118 because thats what was at the Lhbs at like $1.19 a packet, I'll have to see what else the sell

Old 02-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #1109
vanillabean
Recipes 

Just clearing a batch of skeeter pee. This is my second batch. I only used 2 bottles of lemon juice this time around as it was quite acidy last time (although it was consumed at lighting speed) haven't tasted it yet. Has anyone else done it that way?

Old 02-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #1110
AreaKode
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I found it way to acidic with three bottles of juice. Using only two, the flavor seems to be just as intense, but it's not nearly as acidic. It's also really good with one bottle of juice and an equal amount of lime juice.

Quick Reply