Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #1041
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Is there any negative effects to leaving the pee on the lees for an extended period? I am at fg but do not have an empty fermenter to rack to. I do have another bucket but I am concerned the headspace may be an issue.
If you have just fine lees there should be no issue, but there is no reason why you could not rack to clean/sanitized bucket and then clean/sanitize the carboy you just emptied and simply return the contents of the bucket to your fresh carboy. I do it all the time and my wine is not harmed.
__________________

Motto: quel che sara sara

saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #1042
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 1,158
Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post

If you have just fine lees there should be no issue, but there is no reason why you could not rack to clean/sanitized bucket and then clean/sanitize the carboy you just emptied and simply return the contents of the bucket to your fresh carboy. I do it all the time and my wine is not harmed.
Sounds good. The only problem is I only have buckets right now. The pee is in a bucker right now and I only have another spare bucket. I should have a free carboy in about a week though.
__________________
D_Nyholm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #1043
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post

Sounds good. The only problem is I only have buckets right now. The pee is in a bucker right now and I only have another spare bucket. I should have a free carboy in about a week though.
People use buckets too.
__________________

Motto: quel che sara sara

saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #1044
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sayville, NY
Posts: 1,158
Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post

People use buckets too.
So I assume there isn't a chance of oxidation if I rack over to another bucket as there will be a decent amount of headspace?
__________________
D_Nyholm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #1045
Atek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 413
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Ok, so I read through a bunch of this but I didn't see what I was looking for. I do recall it was discussed so I apologize for bringing this up again. I am wanting to make this with honey and have calculated the honey equivalents to this using the got mead calculator (been pretty accurate so far). My question is can I add the lemon after the ferment? Pretty sure this has been done but I don't recall the comments of its effect on the flavor.

__________________

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Atek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #1046
saramc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: suburb of Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,743
Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post

So I assume there isn't a chance of oxidation if I rack over to another bucket as there will be a decent amount of headspace?
Headspace is an issue in any container at this point, even in a bucket. You can use an object to help displace volume and get rid of the headspace. Some use glass, leadfree marbles(3# displaces 1 Liter), but whatever you use needs to be clean, sanitized and safe to add to the wine. I knew someone who double vacuum packed dried beans and used them as weights to displace the volume. Others use gas to fill the headspace.
__________________

Motto: quel che sara sara

saramc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #1047
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,032
Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
Ok, so I read through a bunch of this but I didn't see what I was looking for. I do recall it was discussed so I apologize for bringing this up again. I am wanting to make this with honey and have calculated the honey equivalents to this using the got mead calculator (been pretty accurate so far). My question is can I add the lemon after the ferment? Pretty sure this has been done but I don't recall the comments of its effect on the flavor.
Some time in the future I plan on doing a mead version of this too. Just to compair to the original thing. I think I am just going to follow the directions exactly just replacing the sugar for honey. Honey is more acidic than dextrose or table sugar so that may cause issues but we will see.
__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #1048
Atek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 413
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis

Some time in the future I plan on doing a mead version of this too. Just to compair to the original thing. I think I am just going to follow the directions exactly just replacing the sugar for honey. Honey is more acidic than dextrose or table sugar so that may cause issues but we will see.
That was my concern as well, hence wondering if adding the lemon after ferment would be a better plan. I talked to my professor (a vintner) about it and he suggested taking a limoncello style approach. I argued with him a little bit regarding the pith issue which he acknowledged but didn't think it would be much of an issue seeing as how it's not an issue with actual limoncello. He knows a heck of a lot more than I do so I may try a small test batch like that. I imagine a more lemon flavor imparting rather than a lemonade effect. Still sounds tasty to me.
__________________

"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

Atek is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #1049
Arpolis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 2,032
Liked 188 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek View Post
That was my concern as well, hence wondering if adding the lemon after ferment would be a better plan. I talked to my professor (a vintner) about it and he suggested taking a limoncello style approach. I argued with him a little bit regarding the pith issue which he acknowledged but didn't think it would be much of an issue seeing as how it's not an issue with actual limoncello. He knows a heck of a lot more than I do so I may try a small test batch like that. I imagine a more lemon flavor imparting rather than a lemonade effect. Still sounds tasty to me.
Well I think as long as you use a really good healthy yeast slurry with a PH resistant yeast it should be ok.

My last SP used a slurry from a white grape peach wine I made so I think I will do something similar. I don't want to make a full 5 gallon batch so think a quick 1 gallon will suffice. I also don't want to deal with the fresh fruits like in my last wine so will stick to concentrate.

4 cans of Welch's White grape peach conentrate.
1 TBS black tea
1 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to a gallon
Yeast: Lalvin 71b

I will let that sit in primary until nice and clear, probably 1 - 2 months. Rack and then transfer the yeast slurry to Carboy and start the Skeeter Pee Mead.
__________________

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Arpolis is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #1050
HopHeaven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Newark, NJ
Posts: 183
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Pretty pumped. Have a batch of apfelwein going for about a week and a half and will be racking it soon to use the slurry to make some SP. just bought all the ingredients today and bought a wine whip specifically for this. Any tips or tricks from anyone who has made this besides what the recipe says?

__________________
Primary: JAOM, RiceWine. Wine soaked raisin Apfelwein

Secondary: Skeeter Pee, Cyser, Tree Sap Cider,

Drinking: Milk Mead, Apfelwein, Grape Mead, Cranberry Pomegranate Cider, Cherry Berry Cider

Future: Strawberry/ Raspberry Cider , Apple Ginger Cider
HopHeaven is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools