Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #1021
Jeepaholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXHollyD View Post
I posted this a while back, but it got lost. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Would it work to dump them all back into a bucket and add a packet of yeast?

"So I've tried a few bottles of SP and they are not carbonated at all after almost a month. Is it possible that the yeast was dead? I used dextrose at the normal amount (3/4 cup to 5 gallons) for bottling. Can this be fixed or should I just dump all those bottles into a keg? I hate to drink unfermented dextrose if there's an option."
Did you stabilize the must before back sweeting? It is part of the process of making skeeter pee. If you did all yeast is dead now and can't carbonate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #1022
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have to try this! Lots of empty glass carboys now since I swapped to Sankes.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #1023
Effington
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepaholic View Post
Did you stabilize the must before back sweeting? It is part of the process of making skeeter pee. If you did all yeast is dead now and can't carbonate.
My thoughts exactly - if you use the Kmeta and sorbate to stabilize then carbonating is out of the question. This step kills the yeast so that the pee can be backsweetened.

I do wish more wine (and beer) recipes explained more about the "why" of each step, but learning from experience is part of the experience.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #1024
FTG-05
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
My thoughts exactly - if you use the Kmeta and sorbate to stabilize then carbonating is out of the question. This step kills the yeast so that the pee can be backsweetened.

I do wish more wine (and beer) recipes explained more about the "why" of each step, but learning from experience is part of the experience.
I'm with you on this.

Primary:
Joe's Ancient Old Mead (JAOM) 10/26/2012
American Wheat
English Bitter
Apple Jack's Limeade Skeeter Pee
Secondary:
Skeeter Pee 10/6/2012
Bottled:
NB Cream Ale and AK47 Pale Mild

Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #1025
PDXHollyD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepaholic View Post
This is a solid theory, but I didn't use any of those since I knew I wasn't going to be sweetening with sugar. I didn't use the sparkolloid or anything either, for what that's worth. I just waited until it cleared on its own, sweetened with Splenda, added a packet of lemonade Koolaid (unsweetened) and then did the normal bottling procedure with dextrose simple syrup mixed in the bottling bucket.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #1026
Jeepaholic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:

This is a solid theory, but I didn't use any of those since I knew I wasn't going to be sweetening with sugar. I didn't use the sparkolloid or anything either, for what that's worth. I just waited until it cleared on its own, sweetened with Splenda, added a packet of lemonade Koolaid (unsweetened) and then did the normal bottling procedure with dextrose simple syrup mixed in the bottling bucket.
The only other thing I can think of is that the yeast are dead from all the work of fermenting all that sugar in a high acid environment. How long did it take for it to clear on its own? Also what kind of yeast did you use.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1027
PDXHollyD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Let's see. I started it on 9-3, added the slurry from a batch of Apfelwein (originally a pack of Montrachet yeast) on 9-5, had good activity by the next day. Gravity was 1.050 on 9-9 so I added the third lemon juice, energizer, and nutrients. Racked it to a new carboy on 9-13. Let that sit and clear until 10-30, which is when I bottled.

If the yeast are dead, can/should I pitch more to try to eat up the dextrose and carbonate it? At this point if I poured it all back into a bucket it'd be a five-gallon batch minus three or four 12-ounce bottles. I'm not sure if this would work, or how much yeast to use for such a job.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #1028
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Anyone ever heard of Lynchburg lemonade? Well add some whiskey to your SP and you will be blown away. It is so good. And strong too. Please drink responsibly.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #1029
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

If the yeast are dead, can/should I pitch more to try to eat up the dextrose and carbonate it? At this point if I poured it all back into a bucket it'd be a five-gallon batch minus three or four 12-ounce bottles. I'm not sure if this would work, or how much yeast to use for such a job.
If the yeast are dead, they will not wake up to carbonate something. Dead, is dead.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #1030
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Here is an update on my SP batch. I bottled 18 750ml bottles and 9 11.5 oz bottles. I added some 2.6 oz of table sugar to the whole batch by dissolving it is two cups of the wine. It has been a couple weeks now and zero carbonation. The original yeast slurry was Lalvin 71-B so alcohol tolerance is not an issue. When I racked it last I knew it would be a while befor I bottled so I did use a dose of Camden tablets but no sorbate. I made sure to wait over a month for sulfites to dissipate but I guess there was too little yeast and the high acidic wine was too much for a small ferment to pick back up. Looks and tastes great though. I may enter this one in our local fair competition.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS