Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #991
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hmm... That's tough... Personally, I would probably just toss it on the whole thing. Then when it's really vigorously fermenting rack it off into it's own carboy to finish. That way you get all the goodness out of the Blueberry slurry and get it off before you have any major issues. But there's no science behind my choice.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #992
Effington
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Hmm... That's tough... Personally, I would probably just toss it on the whole thing. Then when it's really vigorously fermenting rack it off into it's own carboy to finish. That way you get all the goodness out of the Blueberry slurry and get it off before you have any major issues. But there's no science behind my choice.
I like it. I have mashed up 10 lbs of blueberries in my primary fermenter that I'll use for the blueberry wine. After my first racking, I'll make the skeeter pee on top of that. I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue if I leave it until primary fermentation is almost done.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #993
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
I'm planning to make blueberry wine today and then use the leftover yeast for a blueberry skeeter pee. But I don't have a nylon bag or cheese cloth to hold the berries in primary. A lot of recipes seem to just crush the fruit and dump it all in. My question is, when I rack the blueberry wine leaving behind the yeast and lees, can I just make the skeeter pee on top of it all? Or should I really try to separate the blueberries in the primary?
The original recipe calls to use a slurry of a prior wine and comments on how the prior wine will augment or change the SP taste & look per batch. I see no reason as to why you can't do this and leave the SP on the blueberries for the whole primary. I had little chunks of peach in the yeast slurry I used. I snuck a small taste before back sweetening and it already tastes awsome after sitting on the lees close to some 2.5 months.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #994
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuff7129
Has anyone ever legged and force carbed skeeter pee?
I have. I only carbonated it at 12 psi but I think it would have been much better in the high teens or low 20s as it is almost like a soda once chilled, sweetened, and carbed. It is very dangerous this way though. Way too easy to drink too many.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #995
PDXHollyD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGuy View Post
How did it turn out with the kool-aid? Did you get carbonation from the sucralose?
Just putting some bottles in the fridge now to try tonight. The sucralose shouldn't carbonate; it's just concentrated liquid Splenda so I don't think that's fermentable.

--
edit: Opened the first one and apparently I didn't get any carbonation from the dextrose either. On the other hand, it's only been in the bottle for 16 days. Will try more and see if it's a widespread problem, in which case I guess I'll be kegging this batch after all. Tastes okay, though. A little bitter but definitely lemony.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #996
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington
My question is, when I rack the blueberry wine leaving behind the yeast and lees, can I just make the skeeter pee on top of it all? Or should I really try to separate the blueberries in the primary?
If you have access to nylon panty hose, you have a fruit bag.

I like to incorporate the fruit pulp, because I tend to remove blueberries around day 5-8, and freeze them and then incorporate back into the Skeeter Pee primary once I am ready to go. Blueberry Skeeter Pee made just from lees and escapee berries is good too, but opting to incorporate the pulp, a few pounds of new berries, or a starter made of blueberry juice- amazing. Just remember to use active lees, so if you tend to rack/transfer
/airlock to secondary at 2/3 sugar depletion then you will have the ideal active lees.

Think about adding some nubs of ginger once SG has dropped by 2/3 or even ginger juice, or some ginger juice as you are bottling to add some kick to a few, or drop a piece of candied ginger into a filled recycled beer bottle. So much fun.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Effington Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #997
Effington
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Think about adding some nubs of ginger once SG has dropped by 2/3 or even ginger juice, or some ginger juice as you are bottling to add some kick to a few, or drop a piece of candied ginger into a filled recycled beer bottle. So much fun.
The ginger is an awesome idea, I've always enjoyed the flavor but never would have thought to incorporate it into something blueberry flavored.

For simplicity purposes, I think I'm just going to rack the blueberry wine to secondary (probably at about 2/3 sugar depletion like you said) and then just make the skeeter pee in the same primary with the fruit pulp that's leftover. I'm hoping the berries stay fresh, but if I rack around day 8-10, that doesn't seem like it would be a problem - and I'd know the yeast is active.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #998
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeast staying active is the least of your worries. I successfuly started my SP with a Wine's Lees that all had been sitting in primary for just about 3 months lol. And it went picture perfect just like the SP web site said it would. But racking sooner should help to keep the blueberries fresher. I love this recipe because whatever flavor drink you make first makes your SP absolutley unique. Can't wait to see your results.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #999
FermentNEthinG
Mash Tun Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1007 Times on 514 Posts
Likes Given: 2343

I just bottled a pee with the lees from a recent Gewürztraminer I made. I cannot believe how great it came out. I was chugging it right out of the bottling bucket until it snuck up on me and I started walking awfully funny.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #1000
firepie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

This forum needs "Like" buttons

Quick Reply