Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Skeeter Pead

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Vikings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Skeeter Pead

I started my version of Skeeter Pee today, but I'm going to back sweeten with honey, so I'm going to call it Skeeter Pead. Here's what I've got so far.

Day 1
OG 1.074
2tsp DAP
1tsp yeast energizer
1tsp K-Bicarbonate
3/4tsp tannin powder
7lbs sugar (inverted) with 1/3rd cup of lemon juice (minuite maid)
4 gallons spring water
10g of K1V-1116

Additionally
97.5oz of lemon juice (minus the 1/3rd of a cup to invert the sugar) to be added every 24 hours 2 cups at a time.
1tsp pectic enzyme (in the lemon juice, which cleared considerably.)
3tsp DAP split in 2 doses
1.5tsp yeast energizer also split into 2 doses
Orange blossom honey to sweeten to taste in secondary

I planned on letting the "sugar water" go for 48 hours before starting to put the lemon juice in, but I might not have that long, lol. Not that I'm super experienced, but I've never seen fermentation take off like this. It almost looks like it is boiling, but little foam. I've degassed several times, and I'm getting about two bubbles a SECOND out of the airlock. I'll take a hydrometer reading at 24h to see how far it dropped. I wanted to wait to add the lemon juice because I didn't have a slurry to start it and have read several horror stories about wasted, non-starting batches. Anyone have advise or see something I've missed?

I'll keep this updated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Sounds like it is going well. I am interested to see how this turns out.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Vikings
Recipes 

@20 hours it was at 1.050 from 1.074. That seems like a significant drop considering it is less than a full day from the pitch.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
rakibird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I went full speed ahead and threw a batch together not realizing that I could stress the yeast by throwing lemon juice in all at once.

I rehydrated my yeast and it was very active going in and now 24 hours later.. nothing happening.

What are my options?

I know, I'm a bonehead.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Arpolis
Recipes 

Make a big starter!

Actually to start off it would be better to see if your yeast is still kicking and just need some help. How long has it been stalled? Have you taken multiple gravity readings with no change in gravity? Skeeter pee or even this skeeter pead can take a while for yeast to really acclimate. Most of my lemon wine/meads may take 30-48 hours to really get going. Also these recipes love to be degassed and aerated. A wine whip or even an oddly bent coat hanger on a drill does wonders. If it has not been long then whip this must 2-3 times a day for the next 24 - 72 hours. If no action at all and gravity does not change from now till after all this whipping then a big starter is needed.

With a starter you are looking to slowly introduce this must into the starter over a 10 hour period or longer. For instance make up a 1 liter batch of sugar water with a low gravity like 1.03 and add 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrients and I like to add some raisins into my starters. Pitch yeast and aerate well. When yeast looks active add a 1/2 cup of wine must. Wait an hour or two and if the yeast still look to be rolling then add another half cup. Repeat the process till you are satisfied but at least double your volume in the starter.

Good luck with the brew.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

rakibird Likes This 
Old 07-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
rakibird
Recipes 

First of all thank you for the reply! I've only been brewing for a few months (and only ciders) so I'm new to many terms.

My batch has only been pitched for roughly 30 hours now, but I rehydrated the yeast (with a bit of sugar to get it rolling quickly) before pitching and now I see zero activity still in the fermenter. I haven't checked gravity but I will do that to see if it's changed at all.

What do you mean "degass"? I assume you mean to give it a shake to aerate/degass all in one?

What exactly is "must"? Also haven't brewed any wine so I don't have wine "must" anywhere.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #7
rakibird
Recipes 

UPDATE: Took some gravity readings and I realized that I made a slightly larger batch than one gallon (my intended size) but not all of it would fit in the fermenter. Never got a reading at time of pitching (bonehead move). Reading was at 1.060 after 30 hours, but with 3 cups of sugar in this beast it should be around 70 or so (judging by my cider making).

Added some sugar and now it's right around 70. Made a makeshift whip with a coat hanger (nice idea!) and whipped the hell out of it.

Shook the bottle up a bunch and dropped in a few small pieces of strawberry and a bit more yeast nutrient. Hopefully this thing gets rockin' soon!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Vikings
Recipes 

Here are my notes so far:
Day 2 (20h) strong visible signs of fermentation
2 tsp DAP
1.5 tsp yeast energizer

Day 3 (44h) very strong visible signs of fermentation
PH 3.4
1.5 cups lemon juice
PH dropped to 3.2

Day 4 very strong visible signs of fermentation.
PH 3.1
4 cups of lemon juice (12h apart)
PH dropped to 2.8(ish)

TLDR: it's going great so far. I broke my hydrometer today though, so I might not get to take a gravity reading for a couple of days. However, if it keeps dropping at 10 points a day It'll probably be done soon.

Old 07-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Arpolis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakibird View Post
First of all thank you for the reply! I've only been brewing for a few months (and only ciders) so I'm new to many terms.

My batch has only been pitched for roughly 30 hours now, but I rehydrated the yeast (with a bit of sugar to get it rolling quickly) before pitching and now I see zero activity still in the fermenter. I haven't checked gravity but I will do that to see if it's changed at all.

What do you mean "degass"? I assume you mean to give it a shake to aerate/degass all in one?

What exactly is "must"? Also haven't brewed any wine so I don't have wine "must" anywhere.

Degassing is just what you do to remove dissolved CO2 in the wine. There are actually two different tools you can purchase one for degassing which is a strait rod with a slight curve at the end and it does not agitate the wine much and does not introduce O2 into the wine. The other has paddles or is mire bent and it does agitate the wine more and introduces O2 while degassing. I have always used a coat hanger and just bent is at the bottom of the hanger and a couple places closer to the top.

"Must" is just a generic term for wine or mead liquid before the yeast is active. Technically once the yeast is active the liquid should be called wine or mead. I think the term works for cider as well but don't quote me on that.

Just keep on whipping this up at least a couple times a day and in another two days check the gravity and see if it has dropped any.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
rakibird
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies Vikings & Arpolis.

So in the future I need to add the lemon juice in increments to get this fermenting quicker? That's what I'm gathering.

I will whip the must tonight once again and get a reading -- stay tuned.

Quick Reply