HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Siphoning strategy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
tokerlund
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default Siphoning strategy

Well I am sitting now looking at the mess I have made and wondering how to fix it. I have about 25 lbs of grape to ping-pong sized crab apples sitting in my primary with about 2 gallons of sugar water and 5 Camden tables. I froze the crab apples and then as they thawed I mashed them up. So what I have is a slurry of sugar water and crab apple mush. It smells good and I am ready to pitch my yeast starter, but. . .

How on earth am I going to siphon out the fermented wine in a week or so? I followed this same process with some homegrown grapes, but in a much small quantity. I just poured the pot into my fermenter and caught the mash in a nylon bag. 25 lbs of crab apples is going to be a totally different story. The problem is I am just now realizing this. Should I attempt to separate the juice from the mash now or wait until after initial fermentation? If I do it now, I could pour through a colander or something and slowly separate it out.

Or I could wait until after initial fermentation. I am thinking that I wouldpush my metal straining pot down into the mash and then put my racking cane into that. It should keep enough of the mash away from the cane so as to avoid clogging it up.

I could just attempt the cane right into the mash, but I think it will clog in seconds. Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5434 Times on 3914 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

I always put my fruit in mesh bags, but some still escapes. You can try a couple of things.

One is to get a very large mesh bag from the homebrew store, and then line an ale pail with it. Pour the must into that, and then take the bag and tie it. That will contain most of the big chunks, but still ferment on the fruit (sanitize first, of course!).

Siphoning is going to be a huge PITA, but if you move to secondary before 7 days, you should be ok to pour/strain if you want to go that route.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply