Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Should I rack now?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Should I rack now?

I started a batch of Pino Grisio 8 days ago. Of course the instructions say let it go 5 - 7 days, then rack it into a carboy. On the 7th day, it was still bubbling away in the airlock, so I wanted to let it go another day. Today, it's still bubbling in the airlock about every 2 - 3 seconds.

Should I rack it now, or let it go another day or two?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
I started a batch of Pino Grisio 8 days ago. Of course the instructions say let it go 5 - 7 days, then rack it into a carboy. On the 7th day, it was still bubbling away in the airlock, so I wanted to let it go another day. Today, it's still bubbling in the airlock about every 2 - 3 seconds.

Should I rack it now, or let it go another day or two?
Did your instructions give S.G. levels as indicators of when to take action? If so, check your hydrometer reading. Airlock activity should not be used as an indicator of when/what to do to wine, simply because different yeast varieties create different responses based upon the must they are fermenting. Your hydrometer should be your best friend.
If no S.G. indicator levels provided, you should be just fine to go ahead and transfer to carboy. Be sure to transfer entire contents of primary if that is what your instructions say.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

The only reading i saw, was in the final stages as when to bottle.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Actually ignore what I just said, I read it again, and it said the gravity should be 1010 or less, so I'm going to check it after i sanitize my baster i use to suck it up.

** Editing this **

Just took my reading, it's about 1002, so i'm going to rack it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply