sg of a finished sweet fruit wine ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewerCa

Reaction score
does anyone know the sg of a 5 sweetness. im from canada and am not sure how the US scales sweetness but 5 here is a fruit wine like strawberry zinfindel and would the alchol content higher or lower throw off the sg for sweetness in a finished wine? for example i have two wines one is 10% and one is 13% but are both the same sweetness, would their sg be the same or different cause of alchole content?

If you have them on hand, then testing the two would answer the question authoritatively for you ... I always prefer to measure things for myself or experiment for myself when I can rather than take someone else's word for something :).

The SG of water is 1.000. If sugar is dissolved in the water, the SG will be greater than 1.0, and how far above 1.0 depends on the ratio of water:sugar. Water with alcohol and no sugar will have a SG < 1.0 and how far below 1.0 depends on the ratio of water:alcohol.

Just thinking of that principle, you can see that by changing the amount of residual sugar, or amount of alcohol will change the SG. If a sweetness number is derived by the amount of unfermented sugar is in the wine, then it would follow that two wines with the same sweetness number, but different alcohol levels will have different SG. I would think that a sweetness number probably indicates a range rather than a consistent amount, though, so some variation would be likely eve with the same numbers.

Latest posts

Back