Secondary fermentation concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victormansella

Reaction score
Greetings! Just joined :mug:

My question concerns secondary fermentation...I started my first wine kit about 2 weeks ago and according to the instructions am ready for secondary fermentation. I decided to do the whole thing in the glass carboy because I do not like the idea of things sitting in plastic and was told this would be fine.
So today i'm going to rack from the carboy into the bucket, mix in the stuff according to the directions that came with the kit, stir to degas etc and then siphon back into the carboy. Does this seem OK?
Also, my house is at a constant 73 degrees (for plant growing purposes). I understand this is ideal for primary fermentation, but is it OK for secondary too? I will be able to store after bottling at 60ish later in my basement, but that area is off limits for now.
Thanks in advance for your time! :)

Do you have a 6 gallon carboy? If you do, how did you keep the wine from overflowing when you put 6 gallons of juice and yeast in it?

The plastic bucket is food grade and not a problem. Tens of thousands of us winemakers use them every day.

I didn't keep it from overflowing...the airluck popped off and it exploded everywhere in my room, where it was then exposed for the next few days while i was away...lesson learned. But I had heard that I can do the entire thing in the carboy by slipping a coffee filter and elastic over the opening for the first week or so or until fermentation slows down. Another reason for doing the whole thing in the carboy is aesthetic, that is, I just like the way it looks in my room :)
What do you think about it being 73 degrees after degassing, will this be OK? I am planning on consuming the wine in the near future so it won't need to be aged forever or anything...

Just racked into bucket, degassed and mixed in stuff for secondary and siphoned back into Is this foam normal?
img0434z.jpg

Now you know why the instructions say to use a bucket. Remember that in the future. The instructions are your best friend!!!!!

73 degrees is fine for secondary fermenting but not for long term storage.

Back