Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Secondary dilemma

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
fisher59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Default Secondary dilemma

I'm making Blackberry wine following VH 3 gallon recipe on label of can. I racked it into the secondary last night. The next step says to rack again in 3-4 weeks when SG is 1.010-1.000. Well, my SG is already at 1.000. I meant to move it to secondary 3 days ago when it was 1.040 as instructions stated, but didn't have time.

Do I need to put crushed Campden tablets in it now, not waiting the 3-4 weeks? Why is it working so fast? I had a thermometer on top of the primary bucket and the temp was staying about 70-74. Do I need to move it to a cooler place to slow it down?

__________________
fisher59 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 599
Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher59
I'm making Blackberry wine following VH 3 gallon recipe on label of can. I racked it into the secondary last night. The next step says to rack again in 3-4 weeks when SG is 1.010-1.000. Well, my SG is already at 1.000. I meant to move it to secondary 3 days ago when it was 1.040 as instructions stated, but didn't have time.

Do I need to put crushed Campden tablets in it now, not waiting the 3-4 weeks? Why is it working so fast? I had a thermometer on top of the primary bucket and the temp was staying about 70-74. Do I need to move it to a cooler place to slow it down?
You are fine. Wait 3-4 weeks before your next racking and addition if campden tablets.
__________________
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bright Tank / Secondary Dilemma BrewCanuck Gluten Free Brewing 2 11-22-2012 05:03 PM
I have a dilemma! GrantH Equipment/Sanitation 3 03-23-2012 10:43 PM
A Poor-Planner's Dilemma: Bottle Early, Long Primary, or Secondary? blender747 Fermentation & Yeast 12 05-31-2011 03:46 PM
Bottling Bucket for Secondary? My dilemma... Bastido Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 12-16-2009 11:11 PM
Dilemma Chris_Dog General Beer Discussion 7 10-04-2007 05:49 AM