Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Screw Top bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Will_Tingle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Screw Top bottles

Can I re-use the screw-top wine bottles for my home-brew wine, or do I need to get hold of some bottles and corks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1154 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 622

yes and its much more convenient from what I hear...I havent used them yet, but there are many who do

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
Will_Tingle
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply!

Good news on that front then - I've been saving up screw top bottles for ages, but then today my mate who's been doing home brew for years said it wouldn't work.

I have to say I didn't believe him for long - he went on to claim that the bottles weren't air/water tight once the seal had been broken, and that that's "why you can't lay them down" obviously he was wrong on that count (I always keep half full screw-top wind horizontal in my fridge), but he planted the seeds of doubt, so I thought I'd best check.

Can anyone who's actually done this confirm?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:34 AM   #4
petes
Recipes 

Re-use of screw top bottles is very viable, in any direction.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I don't use them and I don't know any experienced home wine maker who does. Screw caps are a good option for commercial wines but the equipment required is too expensive for home wine making. Without the seal that's present in the commercial process, the wines capped with finger tightened screw tops might be good for wines consumed within a few weeks but certainly not wines meant to be cellared of several moths or years.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Now just to be cleaer, there's two possible answers here dependign on what you mean.

1. No, you can't achieve same seal as original just by reattaching the screw on caps by hand, and you will suffer oxygenation and lose quality of your wine.

2. Yes, you CAN use corks in screw top bottles, and thus safely reuse them. Some of these bottles will require a #8 cork though, rather than a standard #9, if memory serves. Esp if you're using a hand corker instead of a floor corker.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
Will_Tingle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by etp777 View Post
Now just to be cleaer, there's two possible answers here dependign on what you mean.

1. No, you can't achieve same seal as original just by reattaching the screw on caps by hand, and you will suffer oxygenation and lose quality of your wine.

2. Yes, you CAN use corks in screw top bottles, and thus safely reuse them. Some of these bottles will require a #8 cork though, rather than a standard #9, if memory serves. Esp if you're using a hand corker instead of a floor corker.
Thanks - I was originally asking if I could just screw the caps back on, BUT having got a resounding "NO!" I guess my next question would be "can I cork 'em" (they're the only bottles I have), so you saved me a job

Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #8
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Will - one thing to consider: yes, you can cork screw-cap bottles but the mouth area that accepts the cork is much thinner than a standard corked bottle. There are a lot of reports of the necks breaking during the corking process. If you think about it you can see that a bottle designed for screw tops just doesn't need to be as strong as a bottle desgned to accept the downward pressure from the corking process. The same is true that sparkling wine bottles must be much stronger than corked bottles in order to withstand the extra pressure. Just be careful.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
etp777
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ah, Thanks solstice. i've seen complaints about that trying to reuse screw cap beer bottles, hadn't seen it with scrrew top wine bottles.

Luckily, I invested in a floor corker to start years back, so never had to worry about things like that.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Will_Tingle
Recipes 

Quote:
Luckily, I invested in a floor corker to start years back, so never had to worry about things like that.
Sorry for being a bit thick, but what are you saying here? - do you not have to worry because a floor corker can get the cork in without breaking a screwtop bottle?

Quick Reply