Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > School me on fruit presses....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
DUDEbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default School me on fruit presses....

Been seriously considering either purchasing or building a pulper & fruit press for mainly grapes but possibly for other fruits as well, im really looking for around something that can handle 15 to 30 qt volume press.

I do own an antique wine press and pulper, there probably around 100-150 years old, all the cast iron parts are painted but im afraid that the paint may have either lead or heavy metal contained in it and im just afraid of ruining antique equipment.

So what should I do? Build or Buy? Where are the best prices? Etc....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Personally if the antiques are in good shape, why not consider selling them and buying some new equipment. If you aren't going to use them for decoration or for what they were made, why keep them? If you do want to use them (some of that stuff works great) just use a stripper on the paint and clean them up really well.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Copperhed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDEbeer
Been seriously considering either purchasing or building a pulper & fruit press for mainly grapes but possibly for other fruits as well, im really looking for around something that can handle 15 to 30 qt volume press.

I do own an antique wine press and pulper, there probably around 100-150 years old, all the cast iron parts are painted but im afraid that the paint may have either lead or heavy metal contained in it and im just afraid of ruining antique equipment.

So what should I do? Build or Buy? Where are the best prices? Etc....
I haven't tried this Fruit press plan (DIY), but found the attention to detail hypnotic. The following Applejack recipe has me enthused also, Nice reading anyways.

Copper

http://www.motherearthnews.com/UnCategorized/1976-09-01/How-To-Build-A-Cider-Press.aspx

Quick Reply