Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > satsuma tangerine wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
bonsaimonkeymom21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default satsuma tangerine wine

do i need to add anything extra to get my yeast going in a orange wine because of the citrus acid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

HI!

I'm actually making some satsuma wine right now! This is the recipe I'm making (#2) http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp. I actually had a bunch of satsumas b/c a friend has a tree and gave me some. What I did to convert from orange to satsumas is I weighed a medium size orange and multiplied that weight X8 for how many lbs of satsumas I needed. I think it was like 7 lbs/gallon. I'm going to be making a 2 gallon batch and will be doubling all of the ingredients. Since I haven't gone to the LHBS lately, I don't have my yeast and other additives yet, but yesterday I peeled, seeded, and froze all of those dang satsumas (took like an hour and a half). Whenever I get my yeast and stuff, I'll be making it though.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
bonsaimonkeymom21
Recipes 

ok thanks!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Reaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a Noob and no idea what Satsuma means... but I'm going to be working on a Tangerine wine myself later this week. I just picked up some Tannin as per the Jack Keller Recipe above and will be working on at least 1 gallon to start. This is going to be fun.

Women are like yeast... You gotta keep them at the right temperature if you want to get anything out of them!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
bonsaimonkeymom21
Recipes 

its just the type of tangerine. this time of the year they are everywhere here and are really sweet and tangy. I think im going to try and use my blackberry wine recipe and just use my oranges instead of blackberries, i dunno how well its going to turn out but its only a one gallon batch. Im just playing around cause im new at this too. but i havent gotten to the tannin or all that stuff yet, im just using fruit, yeast, water, sugar. and some extra sweetening at the end when i bottle.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
cajun_wine07
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

@ halfpint
I robbed my neighbors satsuma tree and after i peeled em all i came out with a gallon and 1/2 ziploc bag of em. Did you ever get that batch made up? and if so how did it turn out?

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I found with any citrus wine, don't let it sit on the gross lees for more than 5 days. Just finished drinking a Rose Hip/Hibiscus/Satsuma wine. It was very good, but it probably would have been better if I had aged it longer.

Quick Reply