Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Sanitizing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
scorpien222
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sanitizing

When sanitizing my equipment I use around 1 cap full of Milton's sterilizing fluid (used for baby's bottles) to around 1 gallon of water should I be rinsing these after with plain tap water as the Milton's contains bleach or will this just be overpowered by the quantity of liquid going in to the bottle ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
mcbaumannerb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 33 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3904 Times on 2155 Posts
Likes Given: 13196

Rinsing with tap water would un-do the sanitizing. That said I wouldn't use a bleach based sanitizer for fear of any off flavors. I'd recommend getting Star-san which is a no-rinse acid based sanitizer. Stuff is gold.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will keep an eye out do it but I haven't seen it in the uk.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpien222 View Post
When sanitizing my equipment I use ... Milton's ... contains bleach

Around winemaking using bleach is considered an extremely bad practice ... one should avoid the habit of anything “chlor”.

Chlorine is one of the two elements that create TCA (trichloroanisole) ... known for the musty, moldy taint it causes, this is a compound that even in very small amounts is a really fast way to ruin a large batch of wine and so is a big concern in commercial fine winemaking. Corks are known to absorb TCA... this is “cork taint” ... natural corks also allow TCA to transfer thru them from the environment during long term storage. Bentonite and filter pads are known to absorb it too (viz. good storage practices).

Hypochlorite containing solutions are avoided throughout the winery; cellars, barrel rooms, tasting rooms etc. This includes avoiding washing equipment or anything else in a commercial dishwasher which uses hypochlorite as the sanitizer.
Sani-Tabs, Bar-Rinse, bleach etc ... are all out. Not in floor drains (chlor based floor washes or bleach), not for cleaning surfaces, nothing.

In fact when big wineries use municipal water, they actually use carbon filters to remove the chlorine and chloramine. We use metabisulfite. This is a good practice too for any wine which you are going put down to age if you do not want to take the risk of it possibly ending up smelling like a wet dog.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
andyn11
Recipes 

I buy sanitizer stuff from my local wilkosons (uk) it says to add 4 tea spoons of it to 1litre and then put the lid on your bucket or what ever and let the steam goto work ... Also says you can do it in the sink for any other equipment used spoons etc

Then it tells you to rinse well with cold water

I dont see a problem with rinsing with cold water sinse most recipes tell you to add or top up with water before adding yeast

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

For most winemakers, using sulfite is the preferred sanitizer. Winemakers have it hand anyway, and it's a no-rinse sanitizer.

The "dosage" is on the package, but generally it's not very much at all per gallon of water- 10 grams of potassium metabisulfite per liter of water.

You clean the equipment, and then simply sanitize with the sulfite solution. That sulfite solution for sanitizing is stronger than the sulfite solution normally added to wine as an antioxidant and preservative.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyn11
I buy sanitizer stuff from my local wilkosons (uk) it says to add 4 tea spoons of it to 1litre and then put the lid on your bucket or what ever and let the steam goto work ... Also says you can do it in the sink for any other equipment used spoons etc

Then it tells you to rinse well with cold water

I dont see a problem with rinsing with cold water sinse most recipes tell you to add or top up with water before adding yeast
Where abouts in the uk are you from ?? I am Nottingham and I will go an have a look for the cleaner you mentioned I have been using Milton's its like a baby bottle sterilizer and there is a faint bleach smell from it and then I have been rinsing them after which I now realize I shouldn't be.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
andyn11
Recipes 

This is it

image-1527007326.jpg   image-1770072569.jpg   image-1908840690.jpg  

Old 08-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
andyn11
Recipes 

I live near glasgow in the west of scotland

Old 08-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
scorpien222
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok cool a little distance away then lol and I will have to have a look out for that stuff I bottled my first batch of rhubarb wine yesterday and it's beautiful to drink straight after bottling I don't think it's going to last long oh well I have another five gallons going :-) you might want to try it I have posted the recipe on here.

Quick Reply